Tuning Help

gn87man

I need some tuning help please. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I think I am getting false knock. But I want to see what you guys think. The reason I think it is false knock is because I can be cruising at 40 mph and put the car in neutral and rev the engine to about 3500 - 4000 rpm and my knock gauge goes all the way over to red. I think the knock sensor is hearing something in the valvetrain.

I just installed a rebuilt engine about a year ago and it has about 600 miles on it. I broke it in gently (no boost) for the first 400 miles.

The car runs great, but I want to make sure I do not hurt the engine. In my Powerlogger attachment, you will see that I am running very little timing and 10% added fuel in the chip. I am trying to be conservative, but I know this car has much more in her.

Also, when I am just cruising (anywhere between 30 mph to 50 mph), the AFR sometimes rises as high as 17. Any ideas on why it is so high while cruising? Is that normal?

Please see my setup in my signature.

1) The alky dial is set on "8" (Max).
2) Running 100 octane fuel
3) Boost set at 22-24 psi.
4) 6.1 TT chip for PLX WBO2 with alky

Points of interest in the attached Powerlogger file:

Frame # 7867-7941
Frame # 9836-9895
Frame # 11015-11113
Frame # 11630-11715

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide. Please let me know if I can provide anything further on my end.

Attachments

• 20190403_Cruise.dat
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
I need some tuning help please. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I think I am getting false knock. But I want to see what you guys think. The reason I think it is false knock is because I can be cruising at 40 mph and put the car in neutral and rev the engine to about 3500 - 4000 rpm and my knock gauge goes all the way over to red. I think the knock sensor is hearing something in the valvetrain.

I just installed a rebuilt engine about a year ago and it has about 600 miles on it. I broke it in gently (no boost) for the first 400 miles.

The car runs great, but I want to make sure I do not hurt the engine. In my Powerlogger attachment, you will see that I am running very little timing and 10% added fuel in the chip. I am trying to be conservative, but I know this car has much more in her.

Also, when I am just cruising (anywhere between 30 mph to 50 mph), the AFR sometimes rises as high as 17. Any ideas on why it is so high while cruising? Is that normal?

Please see my setup in my signature.

1) The alky dial is set on "8" (Max).
2) Running 100 octane fuel
3) Boost set at 22-24 psi.
4) 6.1 TT chip for PLX WBO2 with alky

Points of interest in the attached Powerlogger file:

Frame # 7867-7941
Frame # 9836-9895
Frame # 11015-11113
Frame # 11630-11715

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide. Please let me know if I can provide anything further on my end.
What injectors and fuel pump?
What is the Fuel Pressure at idle, vacuum line off, line on?
Was the knock sensor installed and tightened to14 Ft lbs?
Is the downpipe touching the frame, control arm?
Which Motor mounts, stock or Stiff HR Parts?
Hows the oil pressure at Idle, Cruise, Wot?
Yes the cruise AFR can be very lean in light load situations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like false knock from tire spin. Your loosing traction causing driveline vibration that the knock sensor is picking up.

WB and NB tells me it isn't real. You do have some KR that appears real in another portion of the file...as the WB and NB are lean.

Okay what motor mounts do you have ? Do you have a down pipe? How close is it to your frame ? I’m betting when u rev your motor it is torquing over and your pipe is hitting the frame causing your false knock . Also running to rich can cause issues aswell .i would reset the chip and leave it on Eric’s default settings. If u are running race gas and your alky is at 8 that is way to much fuel . With just the 100 octane u should be fine running 20lbs .after you find your false knock problem and fix it I would turn the alky off and turn the boost down . Then running the 100 octane start to turn the boost up and keep turning it up till u start to see some real knock then add just alil alky . Running that much alky can cause your motor to knock because of all the liquid you are trying to burn which probably isn’t burning completely. Anyway good
Luck and keep us posted

What injectors and fuel pump?
What is the Fuel Pressure at idle, vacuum line off, line on?
Was the knock sensor installed and tightened to14 Ft lbs?
Is the downpipe touching the frame, control arm?
Which Motor mounts, stock or Stiff HR Parts?
Hows the oil pressure at Idle, Cruise, Wot?
Yes the cruise AFR can be very lean in light load situations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What injectors and fuel pump? 80 lb Siemens injectors and Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump
What is the Fuel Pressure at idle, vacuum line off, line on? 43 psi line off, 40 psi line on
Was the knock sensor installed and tightened to14 Ft lbs? Yes
Is the downpipe touching the frame, control arm? No
Which Motor mounts, stock or Stiff HR Parts? Stock motor mounts
Hows the oil pressure at Idle, Cruise, Wot? 16-18 psi at idle fully warm, 35-40 psi at cruise, 50-60 psi at WOT

Look at your vehicle speed when you see the major knock. Tire spin.

Highest knock (14.1 degrees) at 55mph (2nd gear) and no tire spin.
Please see attached screenshot from my log.

Attachments

• Powerlogger_Highest_Knock_Frame_20190403.JPG
    Powerlogger_Highest_Knock_Frame_20190403.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 63
Okay what motor mounts do you have ? Do you have a down pipe? How close is it to your frame ? I’m betting when u rev your motor it is torquing over and your pipe is hitting the frame causing your false knock . Also running to rich can cause issues aswell .i would reset the chip and leave it on Eric’s default settings. If u are running race gas and your alky is at 8 that is way to much fuel . With just the 100 octane u should be fine running 20lbs .after you find your false knock problem and fix it I would turn the alky off and turn the boost down . Then running the 100 octane start to turn the boost up and keep turning it up till u start to see some real knock then add just alil alky . Running that much alky can cause your motor to knock because of all the liquid you are trying to burn which probably isn’t burning completely. Anyway good
Luck and keep us posted

Stock motor mounts...
Yes, I do have a downpipe. It is about an inch away from the frame. That is one possible cause of the false knock. Thanks!
Ok, I will try resetting my chip to the default settings. I was thinking along the same lines. Is it possible to get false knock from being too rich? I think I am way too rich. Way too much fuel trying to burn off. I just don't want to hurt this motor. I blew the old motor (sheared the crank in half) with the default chip settings (same chip) but I was running stock bottom end and 93 octane with alky set to "6" on the dial and 23 psi boost.

It’s possible to get real knock caused by you being way to rich . At 20lbs you should not need your alky at 8 . At 28lbs I was running my alky at 5ish . I would turn your alky to 4ish . And yes double check your motor mounts for sure I’ve seen these motors easily roll over with the torque and have the down pipe cause knock readings similar to what you are getting.

Check your converter bolts aswell . Some times loose converter bolts would cause knock like you are describing

It’s possible to get real knock caused by you being way to rich . At 20lbs you should not need your alky at 8 . At 28lbs I was running my alky at 5ish . I would turn your alky to 4ish . And yes double check your motor mounts for sure I’ve seen these motors easily roll over with the torque and have the down pipe cause knock readings similar to what you are getting.

oh, ok. Good to know. Nice. Ok, I will turn the alky dial to "4" and try it out. I will definitely double check the motor mounts to make sure they are tight and secure. I will double check the downpipe clearance as well. Thanks so much for your help!

The bottom line is this. If your fuel system is up to the task...and you had Eric burn your chip for your exact combination and you told Eric what your max boost is...cuz that's how he sets his high gear fuel...then you should be able to go WOT up to 23 PSI with Julios alky kit on his default setting on the blue knob with zero KR.

Check the back of your chip and find out how much fuel Eric put in it. What did you tell him your max boost would be? And why are you running 100 octane? What octane did Eric burn it for?