Tuning help wanted

BlackonBlack

I need to do some tuning on the low end and am in search of a little direction as I am hesitant to make adjustments when I'm not sure of the outcome.

87 GN
Scanmaster
3" dp
Walbro 340
Hotwire kit
Tt5.7 chip

The car runs pretty well in drive, and I adjusted BLM 122 in 3rd gear. Little to no knock.

First and second gear are the problem. It will accelerate ok in first but shows some kr under hard acceleration. second gear shifts too early to third under normal acceleration and when I get on it, it seems to be missing and has kr.

If I place it in second gear to prevent the early shift, and get on it it obviously is bogging down. Acceleration is poor. I just put a scanmaster back in the car and don't have numbers to reference at this time.

When I get home in a couple days I'll take it out and would like to try some adjustments. What do you recommend? Where do I start? I assume with the kr it is lean, but I am a novice to making changes.

Any advice much appreciated.

I need to do some tuning on the low end and am in search of a little direction as I am hesitant to make adjustments when I'm not sure of the outcome.

87 GN
Scanmaster
3" dp
Walbro 340
Hotwire kit
Tt5.7 chip

The car runs pretty well in drive, and I adjusted BLM 122 in 3rd gear. Little to no knock.

First and second gear are the problem. It will accelerate ok in first but shows some kr under hard acceleration. second gear shifts too early to third under normal acceleration and when I get on it, it seems to be missing and has kr.

If I place it in second gear to prevent the early shift, and get on it it obviously is bogging down. Acceleration is poor. I just put a scanmaster back in the car and don't have numbers to reference at this time.

When I get home in a couple days I'll take it out and would like to try some adjustments. What do you recommend? Where do I start? I assume with the kr it is lean, but I am a novice to making changes.

Any advice much appreciated.
kr can come from a few things,insufficient octane for boost/timing,Afr to lean,and drivetrain moving around.there are other things but that in a nutshell.

Verify fp rise 1to1,then determine where the Afr or mv are if there good and your boost is within reason for the fuel your running try pulling a few degrees of timing.also check the downpipe hitting anything.

Verify fp rise 1to1,then determine where the Afr or mv are if there good and your boost is within reason for the fuel your running try pulling a few degrees of timing.also check the downpipe hitting anything.

How long have you had the car? Go on gnttype.org and do the spring cleaning before anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring cleaning is complete.

Fuel pressure rise is normal

I've only put a couple hundred miles on the car and it has never run properly

Running 93 octane and the tt chip is programmed that way

I'll take it out and report back with numbers. What is a reasonable amount to back off the timing? If I see kr of 7.5, should I just take out -7.5 timing? Is it that simple?

What confuses me is that all the adjustments seem to be at WOT, so what if my problems are appearing at an intermediate throttle setting?

Last edited:
Okay I get this all the time . Those TT chips are great but you are super limited in the actual tuning deptment . If u want to actully tune your car u will need the sd2 chip with powerlogger . Or a FAST setup . I'm runing the sd2 and love it . It has flex fuel to run e85 . But with that chip you have access to the complete VE table,Spark table , A/F table . And numorus other parameters. So if u are looking to actully tune your car u have to go one of those routes if not u can just stick with the chips and tune Alil WOT . Good luck and hope u get it going the way u want

Thanks, I'm actually selling this one so I just want it to run acceptably when I show it and the next guy has something good to start with.

I'll take it out and report back with numbers. What is a reasonable amount to back off the timing? If I see kr of 7.5, should I just take out -7.5 timing? Is it that simple?

What confuses me is that all the adjustments seem to be at WOT, so what if my problems are appearing at an intermediate throttle setting?

It's not that simple. Have you tried resetting the chip? 7.5* of KR is a lot. If you keep driving it and getting that much KR you will damage the motor. There is definitely something going on but you need good scan numbers. Knock is detonation which can be caused by many things. Lean fuel condition. Vacuum leaks. Etc. get some accurate readings at idle and at a normal highway cruise. Stay out of boost till you find out what is going on.

I'll take it out and report back with numbers. What is a reasonable amount to back off the timing?

It's not that simple. Have you tried resetting the chip? 7.5* of KR is a lot. If you keep driving it and getting that much KR you will damage the motor. There is definitely something going on but you need good scan numbers. Knock is detonation which can be caused by many things. Lean fuel condition. Vacuum leaks. Etc. get some accurate readings at idle and at a normal highway cruise. Stay out of boost till you find out what is going on.

Sage advice. I put on a Bosch 237 FPR (fixed at 43psi) but I have an adjustable one I can try.

When searching for a vacuum leak, is there a technique to see something that stands out or which ones would be the likely culprits?

I didnt see how much timing you are running? something you can try that is easy would be to pull 2* timing from the chip parameter and see the effect.