TTA tube front end pics

ttafan

Here are some pics of the new Spohn K member, manual rack, AJE arms, and coil over suspension installed on my TTA. I cant wait for some cooler weather to get to the track and try it out. Enjoy! :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN5217.jpg
    DSCN5217.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN5228.jpg
    DSCN5228.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 538
  • DSCN5220.jpg
    DSCN5220.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 559
  • DSCN5223.jpg
    DSCN5223.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 542
  • DSCN5230.jpg
    DSCN5230.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 553
Looks good. Will you stay with the skinnies on the front? It may be hard to turn stock sized tires with that manual rack. Exhaust looks good, btw. Similar to mine:)

I've had a tube "K" in my car for a long time, always wanted to add the rack steering but since mine is more of a street car I didnt want to lose the factory turning radi.
Or have they got a solution 4 that now ?

Thanks Guys... Yes, I plan on staying with skinnies up front for now. I tried the stock wheels and those wide factory tires up front make for a workout when parking.:eek: The manual turn radius is about 3/4 of the factory radius. The skinnies almost make the turning effort feel factory though. Plus, I'll bet I lost over 100 lbs. off the front with everything. You can feel the weight difference when cruising. I'm sure I will switch back and forth for street. I'm trying to lighten the car as much as possible and still be able to cruise.

Here is a few shots of my undercoated 250,000 mile 89 formy 350 car. I started taking the coating off thanx to a nasty trans explosion..
I only lost 20 some lbs with just the K swap. Im really liking the looks of your K. I know ditching the factory springs steering box/linkage an struts wud be a lot more weight off..
I built a quicky front bumper support and ditched the factory part, lost 35 doing that. Like the factory battery?
SDC10174.jpg

SDC10175.jpg

1989-pontiac-firebird-wheres-the-batt.jpg

SDC10173-1.jpg

Hey TTOP350 - how are you stripping off that undercoating?

Believe it or not I put transmission fluid in a squirt bottle and spray away until it gets soft..
I let it soak and reapply. Do it 4 a week or so then scrape away with a plastic putty/decal spreader.
Also use a pressure washer with dawn soap 2 cleanup when the big chunks are gone..
To do a whole car takes a while.

Oddly enuff this is how I found out that trans fluid takes off under coating.. lol
mytrans.jpg

whats with the myth ttas an third gens with tube k members break the shock towers aka crack them ?

whats with the myth ttas an third gens with tube k members break the shock towers aka crack them ?

Mine did, but it wasnt the k-member so much as the coil overs I think. Chassis guy said it was putting the load of the car on the strut towers which werent ment to support the weight.

TTA850 said:
Mine did, but it wasnt the k-member so much as the coil overs I think. Chassis guy said it was putting the load of the car on the strut towers which werent ment to support the weight....

Steve, you wanna line up your GTA w/mine over at e-town, or did you start the LSX conversion already? I'd like to get your GTA w/LC2 racing my GTA w/305 and turbo charger on video one last time before you swap engines. Lemme know....

Steve, you wanna line up your GTA w/mine over at e-town, or did you start the LSX conversion already? I'd like to get your GTA w/LC2 racing my GTA w/305 and turbo charger on video one last time before you swap engines. Lemme know....

PM sent

How sturdy does the tie rod mount to the spindle look? I thought about doing that a year ago, but I thought from the pictures that there was a link that dropped down off the steering arm (to stop bump steer I presume) and I thought in the pictures it looked a little flimsy for a street driven car.

How sturdy does the tie rod mount to the spindle look? I thought about doing that a year ago, but I thought from the pictures that there was a link that dropped down off the steering arm (to stop bump steer I presume) and I thought in the pictures it looked a little flimsy for a street driven car.

They are pretty solid. I have run on the street with both factory rims and skinnies and haven't had a problem. Long term, daily driven, I would not recommend this set-up though.

I ended up using a manual box from a 4 cylinder S10. It's probably not quite as light as the rack and pinion setup, but it's a hell of a lot lighter than the factory power steering setup. I could still use a spohn k-frame without the rack. (Way Cheaper too)