Trying to run the tunerpro on my Laptop with the MAFT pro

Black Sunshine

Slacker
Hello I finally bought a serial to usb adapter so I can connect my laptop to the MAFT pro. I thought that was all I need to get to tuning with my laptop or at least be able to see what my car is doing. I guess I need a connection to the ALDL as well because I can't get anything to happen. I am new to this so can someone please tell me what kind of adapter I need to plug my laptop with windows Vista into the ALDL and also where I can purchase what I need? Thank you so much for any help.

Hello I finally bought a serial to usb adapter so I can connect my laptop to the MAFT pro. I thought that was all I need to get to tuning with my laptop or at least be able to see what my car is doing. I guess I need a connection to the ALDL as well because I can't get anything to happen. I am new to this so can someone please tell me what kind of adapter I need to plug my laptop with windows Vista into the ALDL and also where I can purchase what I need? Thank you so much for any help.

Tunerpro has "ALDL" logging, but we use that part of tunerpro to log data from the Pro.

right click in the gray area in the right half of the screen and select preferences. In the ALDL logging page, you need to select translator pro in the connection box.

Then load the correct ads file and you should be able to connect to the Pro and log data from it.

Bob

Ok by the connection box I assume you mean change the interface type to Translator Pro? I am also confused with what ads file to load. I only have one xdf file and that is the 6E.xdf. The matching one that is 6E.ads says it's for 5 and 5.7 liter engines. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for helping out a first time user.

Ok by the connection box I assume you mean change the interface type to Translator Pro? I am also confused with what ads file to load. I only have one xdf file and that is the 6E.xdf. The matching one that is 6E.ads says it's for 5 and 5.7 liter engines. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for helping out a first time user.

Both those files are incorrect for the MAFT Pro.

Try these

Attachments

• TPRO527 files.zip
    51.7 KB · Views: 87
Hi Bob, the files you gave me worked well. However I still can't seem to get any data to log. I don't know if I'm supposed to click on the connect to the ECM button but I do but nothing happens. Is there anyway I can talk to you or somebody on the phone in the near future to walk me through this and help me understand it better? If so when would be a good time to call? I work 8-5 Central time MON-RFI and usually work nights Sat and Sun.

5.22 of the MAFTPro and 4.14 of the TunerPro. Good to hear from you again Dave. You helped convince me to get this. Car drives great. I just want to be able to log data from it and understand it.

take a quick look at these. The preferences stuff is in the tools menu.

tunerpro prefs.jpg

http://www.bailey-eng.com/instructional/recording.avi

http://www.bailey-eng.com/instructional/making a log.avi

we can hook up on the phone between the holidays.

Bob

Hi, I know it's been awhile but didn't feel like playing around in the cold. Being it's the first day in the 60s this year I decided to play around with the translator. In both of those videos you showed me the ALDL was connected. I don't have the ALDL connected. Therefore, am I SOL on logging data since I don't have ALDL connection?

logging should work.

Ok, laptop with usb-serial adapter, Pro communication cable, plugged into the Pro, key on.

start Tunerpro, click the connect button and see if Tunerpro can detect the Pro, you should hear "Bee-Beep"

Do you get this far?

B

ok, just a few more steps.

Tools menu......Preferences

in the Preferences dialog, pick the rightmost tab (ALDL/Emulation), in this tab you will find some selections.

Choose Translator Pro for the "Interface Type"
Choose 10Hz for the target sample rate.
check the Load last ALDL def at startup box.

click ok to close the dialog.

then

tools menu, aldl logging.....setup (F4 is a hot key for this)
use the browse button to select the proper ADS file. (tunerpro may complain that your XDF is mismatched, don't worry about it.)
use the select logfile for record/playback, when the dialog opens give it a new filename to save logs to (testlog) and click open. Answer 'yes' to create file.

click Connect to ECM, or use the button on the toolbar, you should see it connect and be able to look at some data.

See if you can get it this far.

bob

I'm inside and just booted up the Tunerpro cause I'm sure it saves the settings and I have all those settings that you describe.

TRPRO520xxx.ads is the file I use. I want to say when I hit the connect to ECM button that nothing happens. I'll have to confirm next time I go out there. Going to bed shortly hopefully it's nice tomorrow too.

let me know what you get. If you accidentally opened the ads file and resaved it, the baud rate may be messed up. If you open the ads file in notepad, the baud rate should be 19200 (you have to do this with tunerpro not running)

Bob