Trouble with line lock solenoid

Crazy D

Resident Madcap
Arrgh. First I thought I had a bad solenoid. When the line lock was all hooked up, the solenoid didn't click (see: work), but the red indicator light came on, so it must be getting power right? But removing the solenoid and touching the wires to a battery = click (working). So WTF?

Is it right that it doesn't matter which wire you use for ground and for power?

I thought mine had a red wire and a black wire, meaning it does matter how they are hooked up.

The red light coming on doesn't mean the solenoid is getting power, only that the circuit after the switch is going to ground. It could be going through the solenoid ORRRR it could be shorting. Either way, the light will come on.

You're right, it doesn't matter which way it's hooked up. How is the solenoid grounded? At the same spot as the indicator light? Does the power go through the indicator light first or the switch first and then to the solenoid and then to ground? How did you make your circuit? The circuit should be power to switch, switch to solenoid, solenoid to ground. Then wire the indicator light in parallel so when the circuit is closed, the indicator light receives power at the same time the solenoid does. Get the linelock working first then worry about the light. Circuit closed = button pushed in/completing the circuit.

I am the one who installed it, so I will explain how it was wired in.

Wire from fuse panel (gauge fuse, to be specific, for full time power when ignition is ON) to switch, switch to light, light to solenoid, solenoid to ground. It was grounded at a fender bolt, along with a factory ground.

According to all that I have learned about electronics, the light should not be able to light up unless the circuit is completed through the ground. So, unless the solenoid itself is grounding the circuit, it should be getting power. Only thing I can think of is that the circuit isn't getting enough amperage. The fuse is rated for 15 amps (I think), so I thought it would have plenty of power. Maybe I'll try putting it into a different fuse slot.

BTW, the switch is a momentary push-button style switch.

I drew my power from an IGN slot on the fuse box, so maybe you're right.

This is truly frickin mystifying.... if you touch the wires from the solenoid to a battery, it clicks. If you put in in place and hook it up to the same battery, nothing. Light still comes on. WHAT IN THE **** IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!! ARRGH!

Is the light wired in series?? From your description, sounds like it might be. If it is, make sure you wire it in parallel.

hot---------switch---------solenoid---------ground
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \-----light--------------ground

the wire t's after the switch---yes!!

hot----------switch---------light---------solenoid--------ground

all wired in series (straight line)--NO!!

hth

Mike

Linelock

Speaking of linelocks, mine clicks but will not hold the front brakes.

I am applying brake power when engaging it.

Any thoughts??

I have noticed that sometimes mine doesn't click also.