Trouble with JBL 1200.1

OneQuikV6

Automotively bi-curious
Disclaimer: No, I don't have a TR anymore...but you guys were always cool to me in the past, so I thought I'd run the problem by you all:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bought a JBL 1200.1 off eBay a few weeks ago, and after a two-month long install, finally got all the final connection done this evening. Powered everything up and everything came on, and all worked except the subs?! WTF? the 1200.1 powers up, lights come on but nothing happens. THEN...it started smelling and a small bit of smoke came out. Starting to think I get scammed for the first time on eBay. Using 1/0 wire to the Stinger block, then 4g to the amps (1200.1 and a JBL 180.2 for the highs) and 4g ground to the amps with 1/0 main ground from the block. Double checked everything and it is right on. No blown fuses anywhere. The other amp is fine and the other components work fine.

Signal goes as such: Alpine 7892 --> Front to an Audio Control EQL, Sub Out --> Audio Control 6XS --> 1200.1. Front signal goes on to the 6XS from the EQL and then on to the 180.2.

Am I missing something or did I get taken? What does smoke usually indicate? And if it's bad, is this something that can usually be repaired? By the way, the seller had a 100% positive seller rating.

Thanks,
Mike

Past owner of a bad azz 86 T-Type currently for sale by dhauser

Oh no, you released the magical smoke! hehe

If it was smoking/smelling, the amp is a goner. It could of been just one of those that slipped through quality control @ JBL, it happens. Those amps have a pretty good reputation for lasting.

Did you buy new from him, or was it a used one?

If new, I would try to contact the seller and see if he will take it back and send you a new one. Hopefully he will be willing to work with you so you don't get screwed and have to buy a second amp. If you do get screwed I would definatly look into one of the online retailers that DO offer return policy's so you won't get burned again (no pun intended).

Sux to hear that though. Nothing worse then spending a lot of time working on something and building up excitement for it to just get shot down as soon as your done.

Yeah, it was used, but supposedly only 6 months old. Seller has a 100% positive feedback profile. Took it to my fav local shoip and it is difinatly burned. They are gonna open it up and see what's up and let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

Update: Looks like it will cost $120.00 to repair. It was used, but supposedly for only 6 months. With eBay, you never know, but I have had great luck on eBay and this is the first time I've gotten a bad product. So, the question is: I paid $200.00 for the amp and now it will cost $120.00 to make right. New, they are around $250.00 at eTronics.com. Full retail is over $500.00.

Seller has not answered my last two E Mails, so I wonder if I sould file a dispute claim with eBay??

Provided I don't get anywhere with the seller, do I have this one repaired, or buy new??

:confused:

MIke