Tring to identify a crank shaft that some one wants to sell me

matt pavao

I no its not stock but it does say 231 3.400 witch I no what that is so I look to see if it had a serial numbers and all I could find is M040196.But that's not telling me much would any one have any CLUE on what company made this? thanks.

Look on the snout or the flange for stamped #'s or hand scribed info,and posting a pic wouldn't hurt.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1390956645.590329.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1390956674.414461.jpg

It looks like a overseas forged crank ie: Eagle, CAT etc. Before you buy it have it inspected by a crankshaft shop or machnie shop so you know what the condition is.

Neal

What Neal said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A "backyard" method to detect a cracked crank. Set it up vertically, tap a c wt w/ a hammer. Nice ring or a dull thud?
A thud?? It's likely a :poop::D

Can't help to notice those big chamfers on the oil holes. Has the crank been ground and what size radii is left on the journals? You would be surprised how many crankshaft grinders get a hold of these forged cranks and grind the strength right out of the radii.

Depending hows hes selling it ie no cutting every thing 100% just drop in.make a deal.w him u get it checked by machine shop and its good done.deal.if noot he gives you.back deposit..