Transmission won't shift out of first....

Usdmskyline

Okay guys i am fairly new to the Forum so if this question has been asked before please forgive me. I'm also very detailed so bare with me. Three years ago i bought a GN. When i bought the car it ran fine and honestly only drove the car home then to a friends house. I removed this instrument cluster since the rpm tach and boost gauge did not work. The following day i drove the car to a friends body shop. On the way there I noticed it would not shift out of first. Now from what i found and read on the forums I was thinking it was governor spring. However i spoke to someone today who has a GN and seemed to know his stuff and told me because i removed the Instrument cluster (speedometer) that's why the car won't shift out of first. Can anyone confirm this? My car was finally painted after three years and i am not sure if I should reinstall the cluster and attempt to drive home or just have it towed. Any information guys would greatly be appreciated.. Sorry for the essay!

Okay guys i am fairly new to the Forum so if this question has been asked before please forgive me. I'm also very detailed so bare with me. Three years ago i bought a GN. When i bought the car it ran fine and honestly only drove the car home then to a friends house. I removed this instrument cluster since the rpm tach and boost gauge did not work. The following day i drove the car to a friends body shop. On the way there I noticed it would not shift out of first. Now from what i found and read on the forums I was thinking it was governor spring. However i spoke to someone today who has a GN and seemed to know his stuff and told me because i removed the Instrument cluster (speedometer) that's why the car won't shift out of first. Can anyone confirm this? My car was finally painted after three years and i am not sure if I should reinstall the cluster and attempt to drive home or just have it towed. Any information guys would greatly be appreciated.. Sorry for the essay!
Cluster has nothing to do with shifting

If it came on suddenly, pull the governor and check to see if the plastic teeth are worn off it or governor fell apart(weights and springs). I had this problem happen to me 20 years ago. :eek:

Don't .....

have it towed to "any" shop, but one that is trusted by the other gn owners in your area. Very few people are familiar w/the gn and a 200-4r is a 200-4r to many a trans shop.:eek:

Hey guys thanks for all the help. I actually figured it out. It was the kickdown from the transmission that slipped off. And actually i bought the car from Kevin @ KDK.. Great guy. the car is there now getting a tune-up and other minor things taken care of. Thanks again for all the help.

Hey guys thanks for all the help. I actually figured it out. It was the kickdown from the transmission that slipped off. And actually i bought the car from Kevin @ KDK.. Great guy. the car is there now getting a tune-up and other minor things taken care of. Thanks again for all the help.

I am curious...how exactly did the kickdown "slip off"? I was thinking maybe I can check mine before I pull it out of the car-thanks!

There is a C clamp that holds it in place..and mine popped off. So i need to get another one, but once i put it back in place the transmission shifts fine.