Transmission wont come out of neutral and drive

mattieboy87

Well the other night I backed the GN into a parking spot and it wouldn't go into park. So i shifted into Drive, then tried to go back to park and it wouldn't go past neutral. So i went back into drive and drove home. drives just fine, like its suppose to.Big problem is the key wont come out. while my shifter cable is not snapped it did look pretty messed up (frayed and hanging) so I got a new one from Gbody parts and put it on. I can move the shifter but it will only move 2 gears in the tranny going from park all the way down. Thats after i pushed the gears all the way forward on the side of the tranny. And I still cant it to go in park to get the key out. So any suggestions? Do you think the Gbody cable is the wrong size or is it something with my tranny? Im really noob at problem solving but i can turn the wrenches.

Your linkage between the transmission and the steering column is out of adjustment. Put the transmission in park, loosen the adjustment lock bolt (13mm I think) push the rod up as far as it will go, (don't force it) then tighten the lock bolt. That should get you close. You may have to make some minor adjustments to get it exactly right. Takes a little patience.

that cable from gbodyparts is junk! i broke a brand new one on the dyno just putting it in gear. you have to get a real GM cable from Highway Stars Grand National. its $89.00 dollars...but its worth a million bucks :biggrin: because it works :eek:

Ok well I don't know why i didn't think of this before, but I unhooked the cable from the transmission and I was able to put it in park easily and get the key out. Anyways I did the adjustments on rod thing (thanks) and everything seems to be lined up good. Except the GBody parts cable is too short. When i took it off and compared it to the old one it was at least an inch or two short. Which explains why I couldn't get it into park. So i sent it back and ordered the Genuine GM one from highway stars. I dont like that Gbody puts new GM in the part description when its clearly not.