Drop Spindles $80 plus shippinng

Orange67

Hi all, I’ve been perusing through the forum for the past 6 months and have learned that every question I have can be answered by searching this forum. I am grateful. I do have a question that I haven’t found a direct answer because it is sound based. I’ve recently got my 87 running (purchased not running) and on the maiden voyage I’m getting a high pitched whine coming on around 35ish mph and getting louder with rpm. I’m guessing converter based on other threads but I’m attaching a video so someone might be able to confirm or point me in the right direction.

Some higher stall converters may whine but most likely converter bearing going. Trans pressure gauge might take the uncertainty out of transmission having issues

Will it be there, if you just rev the engine?
Have you changed the fluid? If so, what filter, and did you make sure the filter pick up is sealed?

I have not changed the filter or fluid. The fluid is normal color and smells ok so I haven’t pulled the pan yet. When you put it in neutral while running at speed the sound goes away. When you put it back in gear and add throttle it starts back

If it does in reverse could be a clogged line and probably bigger trans issues. Does slight pressure on tv cable have any effect on noise?

I will drive it tonight and check reverse and the tv cable too. I have not tried to adjust the tv cable yet but I will read up on it and try that too. Thanks

If it runs and drives nice it could be the rear axle gear set. Does it sound like it's possibly in the axle?

I took it out for the longest drive to date. I’m not convinced it’s the trans. I studied up on how to adjust the tv cable and now the trans doesn’t flair going into second. The whine is still there and loud. It really seems like it’s coming from the rear now that I have been able to drive it further. The baffling thing is it will go away when I put it in neutral or when I let off the gas. Once I get back on the throttle it comes back with a vengeance. Here is another video

It's good we caught this before you pulled the trans. The ring and pinion in the axle can make some odd noises like that. Pop off the axle cover and check for metal chips or sloppy parts. It will need new gears most likely if that's the noise. Plus bearings and seals of course.
I never heard one that loud to be fair. Almost sounds like they are set too tight.

It's good we caught this before you pulled the trans. The ring and pinion in the axle can make some odd noises like that. Pop off the axle cover and check for metal chips or sloppy parts. It will need new gears most likely if that's the noise. Plus bearings and seals of course.
I never heard one that loud to be fair. Almost sounds like they are set too tight.

The rearends I've encountered have always seemed to have more of a rumble to them. Maybe like someone above said the converter. Doesn't start until 35mph or so just when the oil is starting to lock things up more and some of the vanes can't take the pressure.

I forgot to mention that I did pull the cover and did a visual while replacing the gear oil. Everything looked ok but who knows? At one point it almost sounded like it abruptly “popped” into the loud whine instead of gradually coming on. The only way I could describe it is if you’ve ever had a speedo cable to pop and go crazy. I’m baffled

When I maxed out my stock setup(stock trans/converter/turbo) was running really well, making some power, then I started getting a fairly loud screeching noise from what I think was the trans. Was only under load. Never diagnosed it. Pulled the car and did lots of upgrades. Built trans,converter/turbo. Never did find out what the noise was. But the new parts fixed it.

That's drive side gear noise. The reason you don't hear it in reverse, or coasting, the load is now on the opposite side of the gears.
That's why I asked if it made noise sitting still, with the rpm raised to road speed. No response.
The gear set is worn out.

That's drive side gear noise. The reason you don't hear it in reverse, or coasting, the load is now on the opposite side of the gears.
That's why I asked if it made noise sitting still, with the rpm raised to road speed. No response.
The gear set is worn out.

Thanks for explaining. I guess I’ll start there and see what I find. When I’m looking at the gears is there anything specific to look for? I didn’t see any damage or metal in the oil when I changed it but I didn’t really give the gears a close inspection