transmission temp

Results of my test: The heat-sink cooler lowered my trans temp by 30 degrees. It was a very hot day today, drove about 40 miles in traffic and it only got up to about 190 instead of 220. Success! Now my transmission officially runs cooler than my engine.

Now that I have a non-lockup, it runs much hotter. This week I saw 220 degrees so I parked the car and ordered another cooler to run in addition to the existing one.

I have a non lock up trans.

It runs around 200 on a hot day and on the highway at 70 mph it’s 220 to 230

I have an external cooler also.

I’m going to order the heat-sink style cooler and put it i line after the external cooler and see if there is a difference.

The temp sensor is mounted in the back of the trans pan.

Non lock definitely doesn’t like the highway.

trans is working great btw.

D

I have a non lock up trans.

It runs around 200 on a hot day and on the highway at 70 mph it’s 220 to 230

I have an external cooler also.

I’m going to order the heat-sink style cooler and put it i line after the external cooler and see if there is a difference.

The temp sensor is mounted in the back of the trans pan.

Non lock definitely doesn’t like the highway.

trans is working great btw.

D
Those temps seem high, how many btu's is your current trans cooler? do you run the lines through the radiator also?

My brothers trans temps are cooler then that just using the factory radiator and that's it. He's running a 18 blade ptc I believe

My brothers trans temps are cooler then that just using the factory radiator and that's it. He's running a 18 blade ptc I believe
Yea exactly, readings from the pan over 200 degrees is way too hot fluid is starting to boil, in NY at 90 degrees ambient with a 30,000btu cooler "and" going through the radiator I rarely see over 175-180 in stop and go traffic..Dex 6 will with stand high heat a lot better then anything else in my opinion.. remains Cherry Red with no smell.

Those temps seem high, how many btu's is your current trans cooler? do you run the lines through the radiator also?
Yeah temps are high.
At idle it stays around 175.
city driving its around 190 to 200
on highway its usually around 210.
not driving hard either.
I also have a fan on external cooler.

Trans work mints though.

I am having a high BLM issue also.

I have a 160 stat and motor always ran at 167 and now it’s around 190 temp.

could this be a side effect of my high BLM’s?

I have been trouble shooting the BLM issue.

D

Reviving.

Seeing as how there's about $120 worth of Red Line D4 in my transmission, I don't want to drop the pan to tap it for the temp sender.

Does anybody know of an adapter that can go into the cooler line path that doesn't block the fluid path through the adapter?

They make these: http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/6...MIzav309nr1gIVwSSGCh3-qwjeEAQYBSABEgIBE_D_BwE

But, screwing a temperature sender into that fitting results in the temperature probe actually blocking the fluid path.

Any ideas?

Reviving.

Seeing as how there's about $120 worth of Red Line D4 in my transmission, I don't want to drop the pan to tap it for the temp sender.

Does anybody know of an adapter that can go into the cooler line path that doesn't block the fluid path through the adapter?

They make these: http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/6...MIzav309nr1gIVwSSGCh3-qwjeEAQYBSABEgIBE_D_BwE

But, screwing a temperature sender into that fitting results in the temperature probe actually blocking the fluid path.

Any ideas?

Why don’t you drain the fluid into a clean container then drill and tap the pan install the temp sensor then simply poor the transmission through a filter of some sort and back into the trans ? You don’t have to toss it out if it’s good fluid

Also drill the pan for a drain plug if you don’t have one already

Why don’t you drain the fluid into a clean container then drill and tap the pan install the temp sensor then simply poor the transmission through a filter of some sort and back into the trans ? You don’t have to toss it out if it’s good fluid

That's a giant mess just waiting to happen. Giant mess. Huge. Epic.

Plus the pan currently doesn't leak. I'm not going to disturb that gasket unless I absolutely have to.

you could suck out a good amount from the dipstick hole using a vacuum pump or turkey Baster type of thing. it'd be a little tedious depending on the size of your reservoir but would eliminate the mess you'd make dropping the pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could suck out a good amount from the dipstick hole using a vacuum pump or turkey Baster type of thing. it'd be a little tedious depending on the size of your reservoir but would eliminate the mess you'd make dropping the pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a cast pan with a drain. I'm more worried about spilling while putting the fluid back in and disturbing the gasket than the drain process.

But no worries, my Autometer manifold gets here tonight, then I can figure out the fittings and get it installed on the line from the pump to the cooler.

Ok, here's my solution.

Now, on my car, have -6 AN transmission cooler lines running up to the front of the car because I added an extra cooler, and there's a bit of rubber hose in the front connecting the radiator cooler to the external cooler, with the braided AN stuff running to/from the transmission.

So, this setup hooks into that. If you have the steel lines, you can just cut/section them, then use the compression fittings included with the manifold (things with the plastic caps on them) to splice the manifold into the fluid path.

Here's the parts list:
Autometer 2286 Manifold
Russell 66040 AN-6 male to 1/4" NPT male fitting
Russell 661580 bushing, 1/2" NPT male to 3/8" NPT female
Russell 661570 bushing, 3/8" NPT male to 1/4" NPT female
Generic 1/4" NPT threaded sensor
1/4" NPT male to 3/8" ID hose barb adapter
1/4" stainless steel bolts, washers, and lock washers

The two bushings are because the temp sensor I had was 1/4" NPT, so I had to step down the 1/2" NPT hole in the manifold. Adjust the bushing adapters to whatever you've got.

When you hang the assembled manifold, make sure the sensor is DOWN. If you mount it sensor up, there will be an air bubble trapped around the sensor and your readings will be poop. Use sealant. I used PTFE paste. Stuff works great.

IMG_0705.jpg

Here's the finished product. The line from the transmission to the radiator cooler inlet comes in the AN-6 on the right side, and the rubber line going to the cooler connection goes on the hose barb.
IMG_0706.jpg

Same
my chevy silverado, w/ factory tow pkg, has trans temp gauge.
flat ground, not towing, 175-185 all the time,
towing open car trailer , w/ car, 185- 195, I've seen 205 on long up hill stretch,
it has in rad cooler and external cooler , all factory,
fluid has never smelled burned.
Same here

Cheaper way I did it was use a brass t and some an fittings. I believe it's either 1/2 or 3/6/8 brass tee then get the matching an adapters (ie 1/2 npt to -6) and used a bushing on top to adapt for sensor. But as others have stated you'll get higher temps putting it on line as opposed to pan.