transmission leak

Brandon706

I decided to make post and ask you guys what you think before I pull this 200r4 out for the 4th time and shoot it. I have PTC converter that I installed when I built the motor and on the first start up it leaked from the front pump/seal area. I replaced the front seal twice, pump seal once then on the third try I noticed a crack in torque convertor hub so I sent it to PTC for repair. So today I installed the rebuilt converter and the same thing happened a mist of transmission fluid slinging off the convertor in a straight line on the ground

How much clearance do you have between the flywheel and the converter when the converter is pushed all the way back into the transmission?

Any wobble in the converter when the engine is running? Any work done to the transmission other than the front seal change? There was no leak with the original converter? Any history on the transmission?

Pull it send it back to PTC again have them recheck their work, pull out the pump, change the bushing, seal, o ring, and gasket. If you can't take it to any trans shop and they can handle the bushing. No leak before? Then it's the convertor, seal or bushing.

I'm going to have to agree with Steve. Pull the pump and inspect it. The cracked hub on the converter is a clue. The last time I saw that it was because the pump halves were misaligned.

I finally had a chance to pull the transmission, I didn't see any obvious cracks on the neck of the convertor like before. I am sending the converter back to PTC and I am going to have Dave Husek rebuild the trans since its out.

You might ask Mr Husek about his 3021 converter while you have the trans there.

You might ask Mr Husek about his 3021 converter while you have the trans there.

I'm waiting on hearing back from PTC, I am going to be real disappointed in the quality of their converters if there is a leaking coming from the welds still

I'm waiting on hearing back from PTC, I am going to be real disappointed in the quality of their converters if there is a leaking coming from the welds still
I'm glad I found this thread, because I am having the same issues with my new PTC TC. My new converter only has about 150 miles on it and just over weekend I noticed a leak coming out of the bellhousing area so I wiped it off and decided to put a piece of cardboard under the tranny and today I walk out to the garage and there is a small puddle of trans fluid on the cardboard. The leak is coming off the bellhousing cover. Is this a sign of a faulty torque converter or could it be a bad tranny seal? Its really bothering me as I can't stand any fluid leaks. Thanks

I'm glad I found this thread, because I am having the same issues with my new PTC TC. My new converter only has about 150 miles on it and just over weekend I noticed a leak coming out of the bellhousing area so I wiped it off and decided to put a piece of cardboard under the tranny and today I walk out to the garage and there is a small puddle of trans fluid on the cardboard. The leak is coming off the bellhousing cover. Is this a sign of a faulty torque converter or could it be a bad tranny seal? Its really bothering me as I can't stand any fluid leaks. Thanks

Remove the bellhousing cover and wipe everything off, let the car idle and check for leaks. If it is slinging a mist of fluid in a straight line more than likely is the converter. I sent my converter in to PTC and they found another pin hole in the welds. So hopefully it will fix the problem when I install my new transmission from Dave this weekend

That's exactly what I'm going to do this weekend. Quick question for you is PTC repairing your TC on their dime or are you having to pay for it?

That's exactly what I'm going to do this weekend. Quick question for you is PTC repairing your TC on their dime or are you having to pay for it?
they covered the cost of repair both times, I had to pay shipping though

Had to pay shipping for their faulty product? WOW! I would have asked them for a tag to get it picked up on their dime. It ain't like they aren't making a few coins on you.

Duly noted.

Remove the bellhousing cover and wipe everything off, let the car idle and check for leaks. If it is slinging a mist of fluid in a straight line more than likely is the converter. I sent my converter in to PTC and they found another pin hole in the welds. So hopefully it will fix the problem when I install my new transmission from Dave this weekend
Well, I finally got around to check out my converter tonight and sure enough the TC was slinging oil in a straight line so it tells me that I must have a small pin hole in weld where the two housings meet. This really sucks considering I have less than 200 miles on the damn thing. If you don't mind me asking who at PTC did you talk to about sending your TC back? Thanks

That sucks, but just call PTC and send in it in. I don’t remember the name of the tech guy, Just make sure you tell them to pressure test it before giving it back