Transmission fluid leak at radiator drain petcock

MRP78

I've got my 87 turbo buick pretty much leak free except I keep finding transmission fluid accumulating at the bottom of the radiator drain petcock on the passenger side. It's a small leak and doesn't drip on the floor, but it is red and dripping from the petcock. It has an auxiliary transmission cooler. All the lines look good and dry. I'm not sure where else to look to chase this down and try to fix. Anyone have any ideas?

Are you still running the stock transmission cooler in conjunction with an aftermarket cooler? If so take a close look at where the stock trans lines go into the brass fitting that come out of the radiator. I've seen instances where the flare end of the tube will cause a wear step inside the fitting and it will seep. The fluid will migrate to the lowest point which will be in the area of the petcock.

Neal

Are you still running the stock transmission cooler in conjunction with an aftermarket cooler? If so take a close look at where the stock trans lines go into the brass fitting that come out of the radiator. I've seen instances where the flare end of the tube will cause a wear step inside the fitting and it will seep. The fluid will migrate to the lowest point which will be in the area of the petcock.

Neal

It has the stock cooler in conjunction with an aftermarket. What's a wear step and would it be seeping to the inside or outside?

The wear step would be on the inside of the brass fitting where the flare end of the transmission line seats. You'd have to disassemble the hard line from the fitting to see the wear. Typically fluid will seep out past the threads.

Neal