transmission failure after installing new radiator?????

Since an update hasn't been posted yet and I've been in contact with the owner I thought I'd update this thread. I'm told the problem was caused by low transmission fluid.

I'm sure it was. Installed didn't top off and caused a low fluid condition. That cooler holds quite a bit

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I thought it weird that a side tank could even get plugged. I haven't seen the alradco one, but even a stock rad cooler for trans would be hard to plug. And if you didn't clean out the side tank with a little brake clean first, then it's still your fault. Custom parts are just that and should be cleaned and inspected no matter what.

Turbulator type coolers don't tend to "play well" once contaminated.
Brake fluid, or even the stuff bottled to clean them, is a crap shoot, at best.
My $.02...It goes to the rad shop, the cooler insert is replaced. [Or, the in rad is plugged, and an external is used.]
Not sure what Peter uses in his rads, but here's some info, [pics] of turbulator designs.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...er&qpvt=Turbulator+style+oil+cooler&FORM=IGRE

I thought it weird that a side tank could even get plugged. I haven't seen the alradco one, but even a stock rad cooler for trans would be hard to plug. And if you didn't clean out the side tank with a little brake clean first, then it's still your fault. Custom parts are just that and should be cleaned and inspected no matter what.

I thought the same about brand new until I saw that thread on a Racetronix sending unit with a ceramic ball stuck down a tube. Bottom line is you must check everything you buy b/f you install it, even if it brand new from a trusted source.

Hello to everybody, I am new to the forum. I own a 1987 Grand National with 26000 original miles. The original radiator was leaking so I replaced with the Alradco radiator. (The transmission acted perfectly before this radiator was installed) The mechanic hooked up all the lines correctly, triple checked them, and filled with fluids. I took my first drive with the new radiator and I think my transmission is smoked! It started with losing overdrive all together and then I had drive but it wasn't shifting smoothly. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and drove it again. This time it went into overdrive and wouldn't shift into any other gears. two days later I test drove it again, this time it would me in drive and overdrive, shift very hard into 2nd gear but i had no gears after that and the longer the car ran the worse the transmission acted.

I want some opinions please. my mechanic is telling me he thinks the transmission cooler is not working, the lines going into the radiator were scolding hot, he says that shouldn't be. The transmission fluid levels are fine and there are No Leaks anywhere. So now I can't drive the car because I think there is major internal damage to the trans from too much heat. Alradco told me that they have never had a problem with the radiators and even if there was No Cooler the transmission wouldn't overheat, I don't necessarily buy that. All opinions are Greatly Appreciated!!!

I don't understand; it says: The mechanic triple checked the lines, and filled with fluids. Then it says: The transmission fluid levels are fine and there are No Leaks anywhere. How did this morph into low fluid level? This still stinks of coverup like before.

I don't understand; it says: The mechanic triple checked the lines, and filled with fluids. Then it says: The transmission fluid levels are fine and there are No Leaks anywhere. How did this morph into low fluid level? This still stinks of coverup like before.
The lines wouldn't get that hot if the cooler was blocked.

What Brian said... No fluid flow, no heat transfer.
This smells worse than the IRS scandal.:shifty:

Let me guess, this all happened while driving the cars across the grassy knoll in the bermuda triangle?? Scandal? Jeez, I keep checking this thread to see if anyone finally decided to do what post #2 suggested and check the flow. Nope.

Was the fluid replaced with new? Cant explain why but sometimes when transmission fluid is replaced with new fluid problems arise, maybe the experts can chime in.

Was the fluid replaced with new? Cant explain why but sometimes when transmission fluid is replaced with new fluid problems arise, maybe the experts can chime in.

Agreed. Trans may have been marginal already and the clean fluid cleaned it up and took it out.

About a month ago, I installed a new Alradco in my GN. Before I put it in the car, I noted that the cooler ports were both covered with a clear tape; (a good thing(y)), but I decided to hook up a fitting to a garden hose, place the radiator in a large pan, and run a couple of gallons of water through it, followed by some 20psi air to dry it out.
Result: The water came out crystal clear with NO debris. Just wanted to chime in and relate my outcome...

I've never seen fluid take out a trans. I've serviced many transmissions. I'll take fresh fluid over old oxidized fluid anyway. If the trans goes after a service it was likely a slush box to begin with.

I've never seen fluid take out a trans. I've serviced many transmissions. I'll take fresh fluid over old oxidized fluid anyway. If the trans goes after a service it was likely a slush box to begin with.

Agreed. I ran a dealership for many years and worked in one for over a decade, and have seen the phenomenon more than a few times. This is all DD applications, but if you have a higher mileage vehicle in which the trans was not serviced when it should have been, the old fluid will make the trans last a while longer than clean fluid.

The update, I was told that these radiators trans coolers are larger than stock and need more fluid. the Transmission fluid was between the hash marks. The rebuilder told me to OVERFILL it right to the curve in the dipstick, around a 1/4 inch over full. Amazingly after doing that I got the overdrive back and the trans was shifting again, although some slight slippage in overdrive. We did test the trans lines first, really strong flow going to the radiator, coming out of the trans cooler there was a delay but it did start flowing. So I'm getting the trans rebuilt, I was told once they slip its all down hill from there, so it will be going to long island NY for the rebuild.

The update, I was told that these radiators trans coolers are larger than stock and need more fluid. the Transmission fluid was between the hash marks. The rebuilder told me to OVERFILL it right to the curve in the dipstick, around a 1/4 inch over full. Amazingly after doing that I got the overdrive back and the trans was shifting again, although some slight slippage in overdrive. We did test the trans lines first, really strong flow going to the radiator, coming out of the trans cooler there was a delay but it did start flowing. So I'm getting the trans rebuilt, I was told once they slip its all down hill from there, so it will be going to long island NY for the rebuild.
Id verify your dipstick and tube are correct. Being down a half a quart should not create the symptoms you experienced unless you were getting good hook with the stock pan and filter.

If your coming to the island Call Dave Husek he will walk you through your trans troubles...