Transmission Advice

Ken Bak

I need some transmission advice. I just dropped my transmission oil pan and changed the TCC solenoid and 3'rd and 4'th gear pressure switches. After I filled the transmission with fluid, I started the car and let it run for a while, checked the level, and topped off the fluid. When I drove my car out of the garage, I noticed transmission fluid on the floor. I checked underneath and it looks like I have transmission fluid coming out at the bottom of the torque converter cover. The oil pan is clean and dry. When the car is running, it's dripping at a quick rate. It didn't do this before I changed the TCC solemoid and pressure switches. Does anyone know what's going on?

There's nothing up there but pump seal/oring/gasket as well as the washers on pump bolts. Unless convertor hub cracked. Did you dry start the trans? Usually put 5-6 quarts in before firing the engine then the rest.

Thanks Steve. I appreciate your comments. I have to admit, I'm very green when it comes to transmissions. I had a drip from the transmission before I changed the solenoid, but it was just an annoying drip. I'm the original owner, and the car has about 65,000 miles on it. The transmission has never been out of the car. Now it's dripping so fast that I'm not sure I should be driving it. I didn't know if changing the solenoid would cause that? Would 4-5 quarts be enough, not to dry start it? I hope I didn't make a mistake.

When I saw how it was leaking, I thought it may need to come out to fix the issue. What do you mean by a freshen up? As I said previously, I'm green when it comes to transmissions. Thanks for all comments.

Yes , Take it out for a re-build , its 31 years old and could probably use a re build , Its a lot of good tranny guys here .

That brings questions to mind. For example, what's involved with a re-build? What's the approximate cost? I'm in western Massachusetts... is there a good shop nearby, or is it common to ship the transmission to a shop?

That brings questions to mind. For example, what's involved with a re-build? What's the approximate cost? I'm in western Massachusetts... is there a good shop nearby, or is it common to ship the transmission to a shop?
Ken, Bison of Bison's Performance is in Conn he's super with these units. He will only build if you take him the car though. I am in Virginia and will build a skid unit provided you meet my requirements. If you are serious my contact info is in my cell, I don't discuss pricing on the forums as that's between me and my customers.

Strap it to a pallet, take it to fastenal and ship it to Dave Husek in Freeport Long Island. Not to far away. He is also a supporting member like Steve. Turbo Buick Preformance is the name his website.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. I'm going to take a better look at it before I decide what I'm going to do. It's good to know I have a few options.

Hey guys, I jacked it up and took a closer look. It turned out to be my motor oil, not the transmission fluid. I should have checked better before posting. I took off the torque converter cover, cleaned everything real good with brake cleaner, started it up, and watched for where it was coming from. I could see oil coming from the rear main seal. I've ordered a new seal and cork oil pan gasket from Kirban's. I'm going to change it myself. I found a lot of good info on turbobuick.com on how to do it.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. It's good to know Bison and Husek are not too far away in case I need some help. Steve, I checked out your Facebook page. Looks like you do a lot of good work. I'll keep everyone in mind when the time comes to get something done which I can't do myself.

I just replaced my rear main seal roughly about two months ago and thanks to a tip I got from Bison, it was a breeze. The trick is to use a 1-1/4" coarse thread drywall screw and thread it into the seal about an 1/8" or more and use a pair of pliers to slowly pull it out. This worked like a champ for me and hopefully it will for you as well. Now as for installing the two side seals, I opted to use just black RTV and don't forget to offset your main seal by about a 1/4" so it won't leak. Good luck!