translator 5.2

krom

Alky graveyard parking.
Working on a car that is getting a low maf "34". I disconnected the translator harness and put a regular maf in and car was fine. Confirmed that 5 volts was at the connector, voltage is only 3.6 through adapter harness at connector just before the ZO6 maf. Ohm'd the translator adapter harness and all was good. Any Ideas?

maf runs on 12v not 5v

Attachments

• esc-maf-ses.pdf
    139.7 KB · Views: 82
  • ecmwiring2.jpg
    ecmwiring2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 134
I understand 12 volts for the maf. I was referring to the code 34 troubleshooting procedure which asks for 4-6 volts for proper maf signal.

pretty sure book asks for 4-6 gm/sec , big difference between that reading on a scantool and volts on a multimeter

are you on the 85mm maf setting in the translator and maf base set at 0
have you tried another zo6 maf

pretty sure book asks for 4-6 gm/sec , big difference between that reading on a scantool and volts on a multimeter

are you on the 85mm maf setting in the translator and maf base set at 0
have you tried another zo6 maf
Confirmed that the translator settings were correct. According to the code 34 trouble shooting on Vortex you should see between 4-6 volts with a meter. Regular maf works fine, just wondering if anyone has had problems with the translator box dropping 1.4 volts before it gets to the Zo6 maf.

Confirmed that the translator settings were correct. According to the code 34 trouble shooting on Vortex you should see between 4-6 volts with a meter. Regular maf works fine, just wondering if anyone has had problems with the translator box dropping 1.4 volts before it gets to the Zo6 maf.

4-6 Volts has to be a mis-print. That is a square wave signal, and the correct idle value in gps should be 4-6.
That signal CANNOT be properly measured with a volt meter.

Settings confirmed how? Tell us what all the switches are set at.

on on on off
85mm maf set to 7 0
still get 34 code of low maf, also changed to a borrowed 3.5 maf and changed settings to 0 0, still get 34. Put stock maf in no codes

Notice in step 2 they don't even tell you how to set up your volt meter for testing!! AC, DC, what????? That should be your first hint that something isn't quite right.

But with that said, it looks like your Translator setup is correct. Would almost suspect the adapter, but you've checked that. Have you tried another Z06 maf?

Just to clarify,

Testing the voltage on the car-side MAF harness connector from MAF out signal (B) to ground should give you about 5 volts, like the troubleshooting tree says.

If you get 5v there, that should tell you that the MAF signal wire is indeed connected to the ECM, and the ECM is producing 5v like it should.

If you check the same signal to ground on the Translator connector, I get 5v there also. But you have a fairly old Translator, and I'm not sure if it would be the same. I "assume" it should be 5v there also.

Since you're not seeing 5v there, I would make absolutely sure the connectors are good (mainly the ground wires). If those are good, then that old Translator might need to go to Translator heaven. :)

Eric

on on on off
85mm maf set to 7 0
still get 34 code of low maf, also changed to a borrowed 3.5 maf and changed settings to 0 0, still get 34. Put stock maf in no codes

The adapter from the translator to the car can be plugged in backwards inadvertently. doube check that.

Thats an old translator, is this a new problem? What was changed?

With the unit plugged into the car, but not to the MAF, measure the voltage at the pink, yellow, and black wires at the MAF plug, connect the black voltmeter probe to the engine.

You should see 12 ish on the pink, 5ish on the yellow, and close to 0 on the black.

Bob