Trans wont kickdown

my85grandnation

85 Triple Threat
On my 85 T-Type once the car is warmed up the trans starts acting up and it wont kick down from a higher gear if you floor it or say start up a hill. It will just stay in the higher gear and bog down and finally it will drop down with a big clunk. It only happens after its hot though. While its cool it shifts and downshifts just fine. I was thinking the TV cable was out of adjustment but just readjusted it and it seems fine. Ive had the trans flushed and have an aftermarket aluminum radiator with trans cooler built in but it doesn't seem to help. I'm thinking its a heat issue but what would it be causing this a solenoid or something valve body wise? Could it still be the TV cable? This started happening after we had an engine put in the car. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen?

Ive had those go out but usually when they do the car will stall when you come to a stop cause it wont disengage the convertor. Do you think its just sticks from time to time, or possibly the convertor isn't in quite right from the engine install?

Yes, I had the same exact issue with my trans. The lockup solenoid was bad. Easy to do, splice two wires. The kit comes with the connectors you need. Lockup is not hydraulically possible in first gear. My would bang violently into first. I even turned the car off, restarted and it was still locked. Call David Husek, he will hook you up.

Thanks for the info guys that's what mine is doing is bogging down then violently shifting Into first with a loud thud. Ill let you know how it turns out after I change the solenoid. BTW where is the lockup solenoid on these trans?

Front of the transmission, next to where the filter attaches to the pump. A tip David told me about for removing most of the trans fluid before dropping the pan, get a cheap utility pump from harbor freight and suck the fluid out through the dipstick tube.

Thanks for the help. After adjusting the TV cable a bit more this morning so far its been ok today but if it does act up more first thing Ill do is look at the solenoid. It seems that the 3-4 shift is a little long though and Im forgetting if I want to make it shift a little sooner do I want to push it out(towards passenger side) correct?

Mine is set with 5 indents exposed, which is stock. The more you pull it out the harder it will shift.