Trans not down shifting out of overdrive.

87GNJIM

Hi everyone I recently had new heads, cam, intake, plenum and throttle body installed and after driving the car around for awhile it seems to get sluggish and less reactive and the transmission doesn't seem to down shift out of overdrive. Also if I step on the gas it goes a little then starts to sputter and pop and runs like cheap. I had a new chip installed from turbo tweek for the upgrades. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks for your help

Sounds as though torque converter may be staying in lock up, unplug it and see if that helps, you will know right away if that's the issue, I've had the issue due to my own negligence. I've had numerous G bodies that I've installed overdrive transmissions in, with the lock up controlled by a toggle switch, forget to switch it off, coming off the highway, and car runs like chit, bogged down and jerky, turn lock up off, car runs good again.

Thanks everyone for your Help. What would cause my torque converter to stay locked up? Does it have anything to do with vacuum or boost or the tv cable not properly adjusted? Again Thanks for all comments!!

if the TCC solenoid is not working properly your Torque converter can remained locked. It's a simple part to replace but requires you to drop the pan. You can test this theory by unplugging your black connector on the driver side of the trans and take the car for a spin and see how it feels running unlocked.

Thanks everyone for your Help. What would cause my torque converter to stay locked up? Does it have anything to do with vacuum or boost or the tv cable not properly adjusted? Again Thanks for all comments!!
They have a couple different failure modes. Sometimes the coil distorts from the heat and the armature sticks in the coil. I have seem them accumulate so much debris from the oil they stick. You usually notice the issue after the transmission warms up. It's easy to change. Drop the pan..the solenoid is located on the passenger side in front of the transmission. Remove the two 10mm bolts or 13mm nuts...depending on if it has been replaced with a universal aftermarket solenoid...and the solenoid just pulls out. Be careful when splicing the new on in. They are polarity sensitive. Internally there is a diode across the solenoid.