Trans Cooler upgrade

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
DSCN0610.JPG

Since heat is the enemy of a transmission , I decided to up grade my cooler with a 46000btu Derale Hyper-Cool . I got this cooler from Dave Husek on his recommendation . It comes as a kit with all the hardware , fittings , thermostat switch & 10' of hose . Hopefully installing this weekend .

Last edited:
Nice!

Will this be stand alone, or inline with radiator?

If stand alone... Any thoughts as to how long it might take to warm up a transmission to correct operating temperature?

Where will it be mounted?

Thanks.

Inline with radiator mounted horizontal on the front passenger side under the battery tray area .

Please post some pictures of it mounted.

That's where my cooler is now , it just doesn't have the cooling capacity that this one has . This cooler is about the same length & width but 3x thicker . I'll post pics when I'm done installing it .

I'm looking forward to seeing this , I have a Hayden cooler I got from David but it doesn't have the fan . That is a very nice piece .

I'm looking forward to seeing this , I have a Hayden cooler I got from David but it doesn't have the fan . That is a very nice piece .
Dave won't sell you anything you don't need , unless you insist . That being said , my trans is his best pro build and a non lock-up converter which generates more heat so I needed to up size the cooler .

That looks real sweet. Dave is a good dude. I also love the trans coolers that are mounted under the driver side floor pan.

That looks exactly like the Setrab cooler. Do you know if it's the same one just re-branded?

If so, I have 2 of them. Both with fans. both in the former location of the stock IC scoop. One for oil and one for trans fluid. I feed them through the bottom of the radiator support. Maybe it isn't the best location and I was afraid they would hang too low. but it turned out just fine on my ride.

No hard landings after wheel stands.

Attachments

• IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 192
That looks exactly like the Setrab cooler. Do you know if it's the same one just re-branded?
They are very similar , both are stacked plate design . Derale was founded in 1946 and charter member of SEMA in '68 . Setrab was founded in 1967 , so they both have been at it a long time , I guess there are only so many ways to make an oil cooler . The Setrab coolers look nice !

They are very similar , both are stacked plate design . Derale was founded in 1946 and charter member of SEMA in '68 . Setrab was founded in 1967 , so they both have been at it a long time , I guess there are only so many ways to make an oil cooler . The Setrab coolers look nice !
Yes. The frigging things are bad-ass. But expensive.

I needed a push with some fancy sales talk to get me to buy them.

So the thermoswitch goes to a relay to activate the fan? I assume that's on a 30amp or better line?

So the thermoswitch goes to a relay to activate the fan? I assume that's on a 30amp or better line?
Nope , the thermostat switch is rated to 15A continuous and the fan draws 4.8A full load , so switched power fused to 10A max , to t-stat switch then to fan , nice and clean .