Trans Cooler Choices

ChadEJ

Hello all, I'm looking to add a trans cooler to my 87 GN. Are there any all inclusive kits out there or am I looking at piece mealing it with a universal cooler? I'd like it to look like stock installation. Thanks.

Hey Chad , I see your a new member so Welcome to the site . A lot of good folks here and tons of knowledge . But to answer your question get up with David Husek here on the site and he can fix you up . Again Welcome . Keith

Thank you Keith. As you know I am new here and to forum sites in general so I hope I am following proper protocol as I found I wasn't on the other 2 forums I tried (not GN related). How do I contact David? Again, sorry for my ignorance.

Wow, I googled all sorts of word combinations and Turbobuick never came up. I have bought an item or two from him already. I'd probably mount it out front, just don't want it to look like I made 5 trips to the hardware store like any plumbing job...

Here is David's site: http://www.turbobuickperformance.com

Buying the tranny cooler is the easy part. Now you have to figure out where & how to mount it. Here are the results of a search using "Tranny Cooler Mounting" https://www.turbobuick.com/search/25467454/?q=tranny+cooler+mounting&o=relevance

Good luck & let us know how you do.

EDIT: Found one of my old posts: https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/...iliary-trans-oil-coolers.440224/#post-3668238

Thank you. I'm assuming by RJC you are refering to an aftermarket intercooler? I presently still have stock.

Most units above 20,000 btu's with lines also going through the radiator will suffice.

Yes, I wanted to do an in series external and internal cooler. Guess I should've mentioned that.

fa13f3da640e031285a14157edce7d6b.jpg
9060b99b5124e6d20f7b1f756203ac37.jpg
50a218fa44f0a6acad3a7c3e852b6e67.jpg
12a9abd6487643e6d66d4ff836a7faca.jpg

Get the biggest one you can fit. Plumb it in series with the radiator. Then run a fan or two to complete the transmission cooler overkill.
I just had my transmission rebuilt and I'm not taking any chances with any heat issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me ask this question , How hard is it for the front pump of the tranny to move more volume thru an external cooler ? I don't this is why I'm asking .

Another question while we're on the topic.. would an external cooler be necesarry for a street driven car with a finned aluminum trans pan w/ synthetic fluid, good stock style radiator with coolers such as alradco, stock location intercooler and 2800 or tighter lock up converter?

Get the biggest one you can fit. Plumb it in series with the radiator. Then run a fan or two to complete the transmission cooler overkill.
I just had my transmission rebuilt and I'm not taking any chances with any heat issues.

That looks like a sweet set-up! Are you bypassing the radiator?

I've often wondered how much the trans fluid temperature impacts the engine coolant temperature.

As to the trans pumping losses... Make sure you select a LPD (Think it stands for Low Pressure Drop?) type of transmission cooler.

That looks like a sweet set-up! Are you bypassing the radiator?

I've often wondered how much the trans fluid temperature impacts the engine coolant temperature.

As to the trans pumping losses... Make sure you select a LPD (Think it stands for Low Pressure Drop?) type of transmission cooler.

I am using dex6 and still using the radiator first. The fans are set to come on when the trans fluid reaches 165 degrees. I have not raced the car yet but cruising around in Florida the trans temp hasn't gotten to 165 yet with the fans off.

My cooler is a low pressure drop cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's mine before I put the nose back on. It's a B&M. The straps came with the cooler. The smaller one to the driver side is power steering. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go bigger, mount it underneath somewhere, with its own set of fans. I'm not sure this one is big enough for what I'm doing.

Engine is currently out, and I'm going aftermarket ECM when it goes back in, so I'm going to add transmission temp and pressure sensors and start logging it to see.

lgRT2b0eaaWIYRPeWXgzzh8Dvaq3OavgO1Mo1G2gYmHZKwdPk7pw3XXQFEA8q-BKmzRFHCOn2-yH6CAUx7hT--YrMAo8_9PEQCEc3h_Z_9TsVdtJo2sN0Ch8kELll0IlaYV77Ft40uq7RRZJ50s-Od7fZu_rB31h0DPSEOFYP7QBmsdBqSZTwivbyDMmTn6Z7eVVK9_ciWVPJuI0jxiCrYfSck38x0jJsD3CjarWRzQgKmnBABqbEjwa8x_5shx1g1ecO_senJzGYLqT5GBbZf-T6gDUXorT0-0ng2yaUlsnm-Leh1vPt89X89sbGwnAEun4dP1f2ZqJ6Mwl9hwYn2wAx5R5atc1iJJ-Dd5HJIU0nRR_YikbMXwCF3fpxItM1QnQS4BxH36klHg42igphCBp4awMeb9CXZcBw6JDQhPPPfR6Izl76uPtmubaCx0HNwFe-ilG7cOu93tsrLjJJAxqE-1U7TI4QpZaBuNUfwv9YamhMTLch_wI2lrNIBtkc--_sxdLnOiyg0ZXhuujU-Cu2Ehi082KxbXlfbsZUPj68TdwqC2iYNDJNkIzMcxXipaO6-CRYRLx3d_e6cyLa_xF9AEfWZgXAHdeXmF4G0g=w1076-h807-no