Trans barely moves forward in 2nd/3rd .1st not at all

dave34

Hi all...I recently got my 87 gn 2004r rebuilt ( last October by Bill Anderson ) . Was working flawlessly but recently taking it out once its really warmed up ( 20 minutes) when I come to a stop the trans won't gear down and barely moves in any fwd gear . Reverse and park are fine . 1st drive while cold it does kick down but after that nada once warm . Today I tried again and it immediately would barely move in 2nd 3rd OD . And it won't move at all in 1st . I Replaced TCC SOLENOID and no change . Adjusted detent back and forth . Pulled it off TB and pulled it and it snaps back . Fluid looks great . Only a couple small pieces of material on filter screen . Unplugged 4 pin DS connector...no change in symptoms. Anderson is on vacation but tomorrow is the only day I have to pull tranny so I'm hoping someone has an idea . Valve body ? Fwd clutch pack?
Only 200 miles since rebuild and no race track time . It's strange when it was cold it shifted perfect. Only after it really warms up ( 15-25 mins)it wouldn't gear down

Last edited:

dave34

Any ideas ? Is it worth removing VB 1st before removing whole trans . I'd like to try the easy stuff 1st .

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
I had a similar experience...and it wasn't good. Pull the trans dipstick and see if the fluid smells burned.

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
I rolled the car off ther trailer, put it in drive and it pretty much went nowhere. It would move forward, but it took a ton of throttle.

dave34

I appreciate the response Scoobs.
I was really hoping others would chime in as well with any possible ideas before I have to drop this thing .

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Might have stripped the teeth on the stator support or have a prob in the converter. Could have a prob in the forward clutch seals. Hard to know until you drop it and get off in there for an inspection.

dave34

You should call Anderson Performance before messing with the trans and see what Bill has to say.
I did . I dropped it and took it to him . He did say he wanted me to get a new TV detent cable . He said Highway stars has the OE replacement but on there website it's out of stock . Any other manufacturer options for the detent out there for the buick gn?
Will a universal fit ?

dave34

Just talked to Highway Star owner and he said supply chain issues with the TV Detent cables. He said he has no idea when they will get em back in .