Trans Am

Sharingan3

Short and sweet... My 85 Ttype body has so many problems (in my opinion) that I've bought another car to depend on and drive every day. Can't keep them all (I have a chevelle, too), so it looks like the Ttype is going to be completely dismantled all the way down to the VIN plate. I may put the driveline in the 86 Firebird that I just aquired. However, I need to know what hardships lie ahead with an operation of this magnitude before I do anything hasty (i.e. I could leave the bird alone till I find another GN). Firebird only has a 2.8 6cyl in it and I don't know how long I can drive such a bagged out s?#t motor for, all the while being beaten by some punk kid who spent his whole month's pay on a tach and a muffler and thinks he has a 9 sec car just because he beat me. Any, now that I'm done ranting, one of my big questions that I can't find ANY help on is can I use my Precision front mount intercooler from my T in the firebird? Does it mount in the same spot? Air flow issues (since there is no grill)? Will the tubing work? I can't find anyone with pics on the net who's done this before. And I'd ask Anderson (he lives 10 minutes from my house), but he's usually too busy. Or should I drop a v8 in it to get me by for now and save the gn driveline for something later? Any insight is valued. Thanks.

now that I'm done ranting, one of my big questions that I can't find ANY help on is can I use my Precision front mount intercooler from my T in the firebird? Does it mount in the same spot? Air flow issues (since there is no grill)? Will the tubing work? I can't find anyone with pics on the net who's done this before. And I'd ask Anderson (he lives 10 minutes from my house), but he's usually too busy. Or should I drop a v8 in it to get me by for now and save the gn driveline for something later? Any insight is valued. Thanks.

Turbo Fabricator has posted pics of his front mount IC w/ custom tubing on his TTA. Joe

A stock location GN intercooler will fit, they are relatively cheap and available. Put your front mount in storage for your 8 second GN someday. The difference in the stock GN and stock TTA is so minute that you could overcome the difference with a shot of alky. I really dig the 3rd gen F body to GN driveline cars. YOu would have to locate a stock TTA intercooler shroud to effectivaly direct air to the stock location intercooler, but carmotorsports still has a few reproduction pieces left and are also usually on e-bay for less than his website. This would be the pricier part, he wants I think $449 for the shroud, but a stock gn Intercooler could probably be had for around $25-$100. Look for 3rd gen f-body conversion to GN drivetrain threads here and on turbotransam.com, I've seen alot of stuff this topic. I've seen several camaros done too. Good luck with your project:D

Check these links for example:
eBay Motors: Buick Grand National factory intercooler kit (item 330285922395 end time Nov-18-08 13:35:16 PST)

Car Motorsports - 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am Intercooler Duct Shroud

Thanks for the info, Ratfink. I think I've seen the shroud you're talking about in my travels to see if this is a worth while project. But the frontmount I have is out of the question, eh? That's too bad. On the bright side, I already have an alky kit in the Ttype that would obviously be passed down to the Trans Am if there were to be a swap. The combo I have now put out at the wheels 435HP and 590TQ. I wonder how much power not having the frontmount in the equation is going to take away? Guess I'll never know if I don't try it out. I've only had the Trans Am for 2 weeks now and could only work on it for like 4 hours. The insides (interior, dash down to the firewall, seats, etc. ) are completely dismantled, already. Still don't know which way I'm gonna go yet. A guy at work says he has a friend who can get straight, non-rotted GN bodies for cheap. That would definately be an easier road. I'll figure it out sooner or later. And when I do, you will all know, for I will post it.

Thanks again for the input, gentlemen.