Tranny Slipping

200MPHClub

OK...first this is the only auto I've ever owned and its new to me so I have no practical experience with auto trannys.

With that said, I went out for a drive the other day (no mods done to the car) and noticed in 3rd it would drive off, then start slipping. Thought it was just 3rd, but that got me wondering so manually started going through all the gears and it appears that it will slip in all the gears around 4K rpm's although 2nd and 3rd are worse than 1st and 4th (haven't actually had it happen in 4th at all).

So question is, what's involved with a rebuild here? I can rebuild manuals all day long, but never tried an auto. Is it covered in a repair manual (that I can't find for the damn car) or somewhere else. Is it better (meaning less expensive in the long run) to have it done by a pro, although that goes against every bone in my body (no offense professional mechanics, just like doing things myself).

Let me know, first if it in fact does need a rebuild, #2 how much of a PITA is it to do.

BTW, its an 87 Turbo

Thanks

OK, so I've decided to rebuild the trans, and was going to buy a book to help me along....I was going to get the ATSG book, but then saw a lot of people recommending Chris' book. Is Chris' book that much better than the ATSG book?

Also, for a rebuild kit, are all kits created equal? I see CK's, PTS and others.

Thanks in advance

Get both books, they're not that expensive. The more knowledge the better.

I can't comment on the kits. I would guess either would be fine.

CK or PTS would be the only way I would go. Im confident that with CK chris would walk you throug everything and make sure you had what you needed.