Tranny question, but better off asking here w/pics

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
While changing my transmission fluid today, I come across both of the rear mount bolts missing. It seems as if the tranny is just resting on the mount. Is this safe to change in the garage? I am thinking utilize a jack somehow to lift up on the tranny and remove the one bolt that secures the mount-then install new mount install 2 bolts then torque. See attached pics: Amazing the stuff that you find when NOT intending to find it, and by doing other things... If your having trouble imagining this, pretend you are on your back under the car and you are looking at the rear of the transmission area- DSC_0967.JPG Like I asked....that is my theory on how to do it...are there any others???

I usually use a piece of plywood that is big enough to span out to the edges of the transmission pan on top of the floor jack. It looks like the trans mount is bent, so you will either need to straighten it out replace it.

Use thick plywood or a 2x4. Too thin plywood will bend the trans pan.
But yes it is safe to do this in a garage. There is not that much weight back there.

You might need a couple thread insets in there. 10x1.5mm if needed. Check your u joints. Driveshaft angle isn't very happy the way it was sitting on the bent mount

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Thread insets....don't the bolts just thread through the mount then inside the tranny??

Last edited:
Yes--but as the bolts worked their way out, they may have damaged the original threads in the aluminum case.

buy a tap in whatever size those bolts are and run it thru each hole before putting the bolts in. if you don't have a tap handle, a 1/4" ratchet with whatever 12 point socket fits around the square end of the tap will do.. don't force it- let it pull itself thru the threads.