Tranny not shifting correctly....

NOTSOFAST

a few months ago the tranny started acting up after coming to a complete stop while running errands. As light turned green I noticed that it didn't shift until 4K rpms. I replaced tcc, fluid and filter and adjusted the tv cable which seemed to help. It has its days where she runs fine but today it wouldn't shift. On freeway it takes to long to get into 4th only after I throttle it will it shift. What do I need to look for? Was told by David to check the tcc valve as it may be sticking.

If it's intermittent then I would suspect the throttle valve is sticking. If it's all the time it could be the spring fell out of the governor. Did you try disconnecting the T.V. cable and pulling on it rapidly several times to try and free up the throttle valve? It's worth a try.

Mike, already tried that. I will pull the pan and visually check it. And while I'm there I will check the springs on the governor. I'm just getting frustrated with her. I don't horse beat her so I didn't understand why she decided to act up from one stop light to the next.

Ok, after talking to David and doing what he suggested as it turned out to be a sticking valve body plunger. I put it back together and went on test drive. Everything was going well until I came to a light and heard a whooshing sound. I figured it was the vehicle next to me as it looked rough. But nope, sound is coming from torque convertor what the hell can this be? In park no whoosh sound, in R-whoosh, in D-whoooosh, driving I can hear it. what can cause this sound?

Watching this thread for updates as my 83 is doing the same thing. Sometimes it shifts fine, sometimes it winds out like I have it floored.

I'll lube up the TV cable, but how do you check the valve body plunger? The trans has probably 100 miles since a rebuild and I'm not really happy.

Is it whining like a throw out bearing on a standard tranny? Usually a whine in drive and reverse is the converter. In park and neutral the front pump I think. Don't quote me.

Is it whining like a throw out bearing on a standard tranny? Usually a whine in drive and reverse is the converter. In park and neutral the front pump I think. Don't quote me.
Turns out the convertor bearing is broke. Also need to locate new pump.