tranny finally broke

bob brady

3 black cars
my car is mainly for street. around mid 11s. what would you guys recommend for HD/billet parts? i want good street manners, and an occasional trip to the track. i'm not very fond of loose converters either! my car has 443hp, 663tq to the wheels.

Billet shafted fwd drum. Billet servo, billet direct piston or apply ring, Hd direct pressure plate from either bison or Dave husek. Direct clutch pack from either bison or Dave husek. Dave's wide carbon band on a fresh drum surface. Cut the OD piston for an extra clutch, rollerize the low/rev support, billlet anchor pin, and all "the usual" hardened stator support, hardened sun shell, BR bearing under the rear sprag, quality built pump and boost valves and a good shift kit, probably Dave Husek's kit. Maybe a deep pan or pan spacer? I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

You can buy all the parts as one kit from Dave Husek and you or your trans builder will have quality customer service after the sale with the inevitable quick questions. Or you can buy a kit from some of the others and spend half your time trying to chase them down with a question. Been there, done that though I haven't yet bought anything from Bison.

yes, i do lock the converter at WOT! it gives me 50 more HP!

Then you'll need to billet the front half of the trans as well. Add a billet input shaft, OD planet carrier, and OD ring gear to the above list. What converter? Multi disc?

Then you'll need to billet the front half of the trans as well. Add a billet input shaft, OD planet carrier, and OD ring gear to the above list. What converter? Multi disc?
no idea what converter! i know i hate loose ones, and i want a lockup.

Locking at WOT will require a minimum of a 9/11 style converter and if you're going to lock it more than once every great while you'll want a multidisc. I doubt any vendor would recommend locking a 9" or 9.5" lockup at WOT.

The money you'll spend to make that happen reliably (between the trans parts and converter) would probably gain you more if it was spent elsewhere on the car. But I ain't your momma.

Basically meaning, if you're locking at WOT and want it to hold together, the extra money you'll spend for a multidisc converter and the billet parts for the front half of the trans, if you spent it on go fast goodies for the engine instead, it would probably gain you more in the 1/4 than locking the converter. I haven't priced it out I'm just shooting from memory on the parts, but the extra trans parts will be $5-600 and the multidisc converters are significantly more expensive also.

Maybe someone else will chime in. I ALMOST built a full billet trans once but in the end he went non lock up and spent the money elsewhere. I've heard of reliability problems with the billet OD ring gears and planet carrier but I will openly admit I have zero personal experience with the billet front half.

Should also clarify: I'm not criticizing your decision for a tight feeling lockup. I'll personally never convert either of my cars to nonlock. But locking at WOT becomes a big factor once you're beyond a mild car with a 12" converter.

And don't forget Steve V if you're contemplating trans work. Not sure if he's into shipping a trans or putting a kit together for you or your local builder but he knows his shit as well (shameless plug).

i agree with the above. Spending the money towards better heads, or a roller cam set up, or better/bigger ic or turbo will gain you more with a decent converter. Dusty is the authority on the non lockup stuff. Mr. Husek offers a real nice 3021 lock up. I use a lockup from a place local to me(www.phoenixtrans.com in Weatherford, TX great guys, shameless plug). Steve V is also a great guy.

Are you planning to assemble it your self? Do you have a good local shop to use?

Last edited:
Billet shafted fwd drum. Billet servo, billet direct piston or apply ring, Hd direct pressure plate from either bison or Dave husek. Direct clutch pack from either bison or Dave husek. Dave's wide carbon band on a fresh drum surface. Cut the OD piston for an extra clutch, rollerize the low/rev support, billlet anchor pin, and all "the usual" hardened stator support, hardened sun shell, BR bearing under the rear sprag, quality built pump and boost valves and a good shift kit, probably Dave Husek's kit. Maybe a deep pan or pan spacer? I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

You can buy all the parts as one kit from Dave Husek and you or your trans builder will have quality customer service after the sale with the inevitable quick questions. Or you can buy a kit from some of the others and spend half your time trying to chase them down with a question. Been there, done that though I haven't yet bought anything from Bison.
i took your advise, and bought a kit and a converter from Dave Husek. he had all the right answers. thanks for the tip ineed!

Good parts are essential but who builds it is just as important. Otherwise your nice parts get trashed and you are down $700 in parts.