track times for 85 GN

JDSfastGN

Well tonight my dad wanted to go run his 86 at the track to get ready for the shootout in Noble in October. I would have run my 87 GN but I don't have my new turbo yet and the T's tranny is out waiting on a new converter. So I decided, why not take the 85 up there and get a baseline before I rebuild the trans and put in the new 3000 stall. First pass was

85 GN ... mildly ported heads/port matched intake, ported throttlebody, retrofitted TA49, unknown flat tappet, ATR headers and 2.5" downpipe and exhaust, TT chip and Razors alky are about the main mods to the car.

25 psi and 23/21 timing

2.35 60 ft
100.62 mph

On that run I got very lucky after the vacuum line to the map blew off and I lost my alky somewhere in 3rd gear.

Fixed that and went back in line and ran

2.46 60 ft
106 mph

I was trying to build boost at the line but the tire* (peg leg) was not holding on the 26" tall BFGs. So I swapped on some 28" tall MT drags. This didn't really help much and actually hurt traps. All I could build was 2 psi and it was soooo lazy down low (wouldn't hit full boost until way out near the top of 1st) So on this run it ran

2.47 60 ft (not spinning lol)

I lost mph because the 28s are just too much for this power level but gained ET because it hooked on the 1-2 shift when the boost came in. In all these runs the tranny is short shifting into 3rd gear. I will build one soon and rectify this as well as a new converter because the current "2800" that stalls around 2000 is just not cutting it. The car has no exhaust leaks and is running decent for the weather and mods.

I'm hoping after the tranny rebuild and 3000 stall converter, along with a posi and 26" slicks that I can get it into the mid 12s. A 1.8 60 ft should be enough for high 12s as is, but I think the mph will go up as well once the car stays in 2nd gear for longer than a second or so.

Should definitely run mid 12s. How'd ur dads car run? 11.0@126? That's not bad at all. Nice mph. Bad 60' I'm guessing? He has a similar setup to what mine will be. I'm hoping to get my 6776, champion heads n intake. Roller cam to about 128 at 26ish lbs.. 10.40s if it'll hook

Where them headers worth the money for the performance gain on ur dads car?

Should definitely run mid 12s. How'd ur dads car run? 11.0@126? That's not bad at all. Nice mph. Bad 60' I'm guessing? He has a similar setup to what mine will be. I'm hoping to get my 6776, champion heads n intake. Roller cam to about 128 at 26ish lbs.. 10.40s if it'll hook

Where them headers worth the money for the performance gain on ur dads car?

Thanks man. His car was running ok but he blew a headgasket tonight:( I took it one run before him and it was running pretty well. I went 1.66 60 ft and went 11.200 at 123.8. The car loses a lot mid range because of a really loose converter that we lock in third (usually picks up 27-28 mph from the 1/8th to 1/4.) Not sure what happened yet. The headers were worth it because they aren't cracked and have been trouble free. I doubt they are worth much over nice stockers. Your car should run 128ish, my 87 has your setup but im just waiting on my turbo to be delivered. Ill let ya know how it runs when i get it on.

you could put those s10 brake thingys:eek: on the rear brakes to hold more boost sorry early in the morning cant think right

I would think you should hit 12's with those mods, Do you have a CAI? I'm guessing the alky nozzle is after the turbo(in the intake) or is it before(in the air intake)

imo ur dp is too small for the turbo. but i could be wrong.

I was gonna bring you up boosted, you guys are running the same time(almost) Only you stock turbo, JDSfastGN has the Bigger turbo.

Then again I don't recall JDSfastGN mods of slicks or anything to go with that bigger turbo, even if alky used. I wonder what JDSfastGN would run with slicks;)

well to be honest its not a fair comparison considering it didn't hit full boost till 2nd gear and then short shifted into 3rd. A 2.47 60 ft while not spinning shows how bad the converter in the car is. I have no doubts with a proper shifting trans and converter it should improve both ET and mph.

i sure hope so. Slicks wouldn't have mattered in this case, a mack truck would have had me by the 60 ft. Its just way to lazy down low. Im gonna double check the boot controller isn't backwards or something, but the stall only stalls to 2000 rpm, so its not near enough for the 49

We ordered a new converter for our T so its 3000 stall 9/11 is gonna go in the 85. Should work pretty well i hope. The T is just blowing through it, but the 85 should be just fine with it im hoping.

def need a higher stall for sure to spool that turbo. If i wasn't so busy getting my computer to run right in my 2010 camaro i would be taking the regal to the track thursday. I'm pretty sure it would be close to a 12sec pass now.

working on installing a high hp fuel system and the new car has a fuel computer. well its impossible to deal with using HPtuners. So switching to EFI Live....

working on installing a high hp fuel system and the new car has a fuel computer. well its impossible to deal with using HPtuners. So switching to EFI Live....

I've been getting frustrated with HP Tuners as well with my G8. Having to run their "Forever" beta software just to tune the car has been getting on my nerves. Let me know what you think about the EFI Live software.

I've been getting frustrated with HP Tuners as well with my G8. Having to run their "Forever" beta software just to tune the car has been getting on my nerves. Let me know what you think about the EFI Live software.

The efi software is much more inclusive. so far alot of ppl that use efi started with hpt and switched over. haven't really played much with it yet, but lemme say idk if i'll ever want to go back to hpt.