Track Rental Cancellation!

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
It's with a heavy heart I must announce we must cancel the track rental at Piedmont Dragway for 2019! Due to lack of interest and support. We only have 1/3rd of the confirmed attendees as we did one year ago at the same time! We had 6 confirmed vendors compared to 31 last year.
Events at Richard Clarks Garage will continue as planned. Sorry for any inconvenience. Everyone involved gave it 100% but our community is shrinking and is fortunately splintered into factions. More information to come when available!
Thanks to everyone that has supported and attended the event over the years. This is a hard post to make.
Thanks,
Shane

I guess I must be missing the financial picture here.

All of us racers pay to get in the gate. Then we pay to enter our class. How much does it cost for the track rental?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of us racers pay to get in the gate. Then we pay to enter our class. How much does it cost for the track rental?

LOT's of planning goes on for these events AND $$$$$. It's NOT as easy as ya think. Wonder if the holiday weekend hurt it? Sadley I think Buicks events are dyin off like lots of others car clubs. :( Been there an done it.

LOT's of planning goes on for these events AND $$$$$. It's NOT as easy as ya think. Wonder if the holiday weekend hurt it? Sadley I think Buicks events are dyin off like lots of others car clubs. :( Been there an done it.

The turnout last year seemed to be as good as previous years. It’s sad to see this going away.

I know all to well how this goes. We lost the WCN years back when our track closed. I want start it back up but I've been super busy with work. We will get it started again for the west coast guys in the next year or so

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Same fate befell Reynolds. AIRC, Cal and Holly lost their shirts, trying to make it go...
Things were good. We had the west coast guys coming, etc. Then, the car count went south, and the race was done for.
Too bad.:(
BG will be next...……..

around 15K

If there is not huge participation, why are we renting the track? I know locally I could call a track owner and they would love for us to bring our cars and run our own classes and race. They get the gate and concessions, we handle the payouts, classes and ladders. As long as its on one of their regular bracket nights and no big race is scheduled its a win for them and us. Now if we are trying to make a profit then I understand renting the facility. What kind of car count are we talking about?

Same fate befell Reynolds. AIRC, Cal and Holly lost their shirts, trying to make it go...
Things were good. We had the west coast guys coming, etc. Then, the car count went south, and the race was done for.
Too bad.:(
BG will be next...……..

Ya we were there. Good ol boy track !! :cool:There have been rumors of BG ending for years. Hopefully we make it this year. This happened s all the time with car clubs. In the early 70's we had a HUGE Shelby/Cobra club as well as a Vette one. Good times but time marched on an they were gone :(

Where were attendees supposed to confirm their attendance? I'm coming but never saw any request to confirm[emoji853]

If there is not huge participation, why are we renting the track? I know locally I could call a track owner and they would love for us to bring our cars and run our own classes and race. They get the gate and concessions, we handle the payouts, classes and ladders. As long as its on one of their regular bracket nights and no big race is scheduled its a win for them and us. Now if we are trying to make a profit then I understand renting the facility. What kind of car count are we talking about?
Is it rented to someone else or an open public night? one of the nights should be available? What about a local group that want to rent, we could share the rental? You would think the track could help hook groups together.

Ya we were there. Good ol boy track !! :cool:There have been rumors of BG ending for years. Hopefully we make it this year. This happened s all the time with car clubs. In the early 70's we had a HUGE Shelby/Cobra club as well as a Vette one. Good times but time marched on an they were gone :(
BG was the same... Loaded w/ racers, vendor spaces all taken. Now, it's all the space you want, the lanes are no where full.
The best part of the week was Toot's, and a couple other places. Gone...
As you said, time marches on. Seems like just "yesterday", I was 25, and whamo, I'm 80.
Fast cars, and faster women. Now, I might do a cruise nite, and the fast women are all at the Walmart!:LOL:

Where were attendees supposed to confirm their attendance? I'm coming but never saw any request to confirm[emoji853]

It was more about sponsors and vendors. We went from 31 sponsors last year on the back of the shirt to only 6 this year. It was "crickets' from all the other vendors. The up front $$$ helps secure that the event can succeed with the addition of the gate $$$. Then you have the winner payouts after you collect all the funds raised. Add in shirts, insurance, and other misc costs...its a huge undertaking.

This sucks but don't think for a minute its just us! IHRA eliminated sportsman racing with the stroke of a pen, NHRA has less events and limited, already low car counts. Never mind track closures etc. The long weekend and additional motel expenses combined with already expensive travels did not help. But its not all doom and gloom, BG is around the corner and we should support it. The Norwalk Dick Miller race is a great event and not many Buicks attend but those Olds guys/gals are a good group to spend the weekend with.
However maybe time will take us back to the very beginning and street racing will be the choice. Remember that is where it all started before Wally created NHRA. Now you need a motorhome to go to a divisional race because they stage and park you on a Wednesday and often have to sit inline over night. Costs are getting crazy and we all have to make choices between hobby, family , work and of course the almighty dollar. See you in Norwalk and BG.

I agree. The track has a test-n-tune on Thursday but does it have a regular Friday and Saturday bracket program? If it does there has to be some where our cars can fit in with out having to rent the track. Even if they have to make a bracket for us I'm sure the track owner would be happy for the business. We just wouldn't be able to dominate the program. Now if it was not normally open on Fri/Sat then I could see the need for the track rental. And if Piedmont won't then maybe Farmington or even though it is a little ride, Rockingham??