Tr6 smoking burning up my coil packs help.

bpman1234

So in the last 4 month 2 coils packs dropped the 1 and 4 cylinders this time it started burning and smoking .anyone gone through this?

Yes theres been some issues with the TR6 burning up coil packs. Theres some that have software that over dwells the coil packs, fix is to flash in new software. @TurboBob can help you

Tr6 great product bob is a good guy too i know he will take care of it i was just wandering any one else had it and remedy to take care of it without having it sent bact to boboe.

the TR6 can be updated in the field, I can send you the files. The early versions of software drove the coils pretty hard. Since then I have reduced the dwell to help keep the coils cooler. I will respond to your PM.

Bob

Thank you sir.happy holidays. I have it out of the car now can i do it on the bench.

How do we identify if our TR6 has the coil-burning software?

Mike

Bob will send you a link with up grade did mine he even sent me a new plug i have been driving the car everyday now and no problems .Bob's great guy to deal with but to answer your question i think you have to pug a usb cable on the side it should give you the software version.on your computer.but you'll get your answer soon .

How do we identify if our TR6 has the coil-burning software?

Mike
I'm not sure it's a "coil-burning software" thing. I think it's more that the software's dwell time needs to properly match the coils that you have selected. If the coils charge too long for a given voltage, they supper saturate and begin to over heat.

But Bob will clarify this if I'm mistaken and will get you squared away. Call him and let him know what your using and if your having a problem.

Is there a S/N lot/batch that would identify the TR6 units which need a software update?

Mike

No, they are not serial numbered like that. But the software version is visible by turning on Mode 2 while the key is on. The version number will blink on the red LED.

Bob

No, they are not serial numbered like that. But the software version is visible by turning on Mode 2 while the key is on. The version number will blink on the red LED.

Bob

Bob are there different versions of software depending on which coils people use... [ie the Waste Spark vs COP [GM] vs COP [Smart Coils] or is the newest version compatible with all current coils and if/so what is the newest version?

Im only asking because a few years ago i burned up a brand new coil pack on the power tour and couldn't figure out what happened .... now this has me thinking.

-aaron

No the dwell setting in the software is the same for wastespark and COP, the coil specs between the 2 types are very close.

The coilpacks seem like they have gotten less tolerant of higher dwells in recent years. So I've reduced the dwell time to "within spec" instead of overdriving them.

Let me know what software version you are running, and we can get it updated if required.

Bob

No the dwell setting in the software is the same for wastespark and COP, the coil specs between the 2 types are very close.

The coilpacks seem like they have gotten less tolerant of higher dwells in recent years. So I've reduced the dwell time to "within spec" instead of overdriving them.

Let me know what software version you are running, and we can get it updated if required.

Bob
thank you sir

Bob
ok im ASSuming i have software version 1.4 ......mine had one long red blink followed by 4 short blinks.... is this current? or outdated. i know i have done one upgrade since buying it a while ago.

thanks
aaron

1.4 still has a fairly high dwell setting. 2.1 is current production and has a more conservative dwell setting.

send me an email and I can send you the update files.

Bob

1.4 still has a fairly high dwell setting. 2.1 is current production and has a more conservative dwell setting.

send me an email and I can send you the update files.

Bob

PM sent. Thanks Bob
-aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro