TR6 ignition question

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
I’m looking into the TR6 ignition system to replace my stock system which works but seems to be leaking so sort of goo.

Was wonder what is the difference of benefit of running the LS coils over the stock location coil ?

I’m looking into the TR6 ignition system to replace my stock system which works but seems to be leaking so sort of goo.

Was wonder what is the difference of benefit of running the LS coils over the stock location coil ?
Difference? For the average TR owner making sub 1000hp power levels?

Installation complexity and cost. Go with the bolt on kit and be done with it. If you care how it looks, and you don't want coils clogging up the top of your engine, and you don't want to purchase additional pieces to formulate and fabricate some predetermined vision of how it should look, just order the stock location kit. It's already more than you need.

What Joey said ^^ , plus some nice added features . The rev limiter probably saved my motor when my trans started slipping during the shift , caught it at 6100 rpm . You will need new wires with it .

Looking at your sig all you'll do is lighten your wallet.

Considering it because my stock one looks like its on its way out, its leaking and all gooey inside.

IMG_2569.jpg

I just switched to the TR6... did I need it no, is it better than a stock system... yes. I like the diagostic functions.

I just switched to the TR6... did I need it no, is it better than a stock system... yes. I like the diagostic functions.

I bought the MSD wires from you, right after I bought them I was looking at my current wires and coil pack and noticed the goo leaking out, then took the coil pack off and saw the mess inside.

I just went coil on plug with mine. The coils sit on top of the TR6 and don't clog the engine bay. The only advantage I can see other than I like the cool factor is if a coil dies it can be replaced individually. I weigh myself with my wallet in my pocket and lost weight when I bought it.:unsure:

Attachments

• 3D841752-A3A4-4E33-ABA9-05512A7B48A7.jpeg
    3D841752-A3A4-4E33-ABA9-05512A7B48A7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 225
I just went coil on plug with mine. The coils sit on top of the TR6 and don't clog the engine bay. The only advantage I can see other than I like the cool factor is if a coil dies it can be replaced individually. I weigh myself with my wallet in my pocket and lost weight when I bought it.:unsure:

Think i just read you thread or someone with a similar setup. That coil setup alone is around $700 right ?

I bought the MSD wires from you, right after I bought them I was looking at my current wires and coil pack and noticed the goo leaking out, then took the coil pack off and saw the mess inside.

I will take them back if you want... I don't want you to be stuck with them.

I got my TR6 on the biard used... so it was a little less for me...

I will take them back if you want... I don't want you to be stuck with them.

I got my TR6 on the biard used... so it was a little less for me...

No biggie, I offered them up to the guy who was second in line for them on your original for sale post. Gonna see if I can find a used one also. Currently full throttle says there is a 4-8 week wait on a new one anyway.

Yes sticky at room temp. Motor hasn't been ran in over a month still gooey.
This shows that heat isn't causing the goo. The stuff that the manufacturer used to fill the cavity has broken down,so we know that the stuff is bad.
Can we say that the components are bad? I guess we could if your ignition misfires.
Does it?

No. I have had misfires before on other cars and setups and usually the coil pack was the cause of that. Im on TR #6 over about a 15 year span and this is the first time i have seen one leak. To be fair the engine was not pushed hard on this module so maybe it would have backfired.

Last edited: