TR factory wiring and General info thread including Concert Sound 2

I have seen doors 4 ohm also...I don't believe 10 ohm rears are correct...I've seen them before also, but incorrect replacement dealer warranty... Hth

I have seen doors 4 ohm also...I don't believe 10 ohm rears are correct...I've seen them before also, but incorrect replacement dealer warranty... Hth
I just checked with 2 buddies. One has an 87 his dad bought new and the other is Michael McCoy.
Both sent pics of original Concert Sound 2 rear speakers. They were 10 ohm.

Radio can handle 4 ohm..at 10 ohm, that would be less than 1/2 power....what was GM thinking?

stereo; Delco 1.5 din ( roughly 3.5'' x 7'').

removal;
I use a right angle heavy duty pic,and slowly start to unsnap the bezel around the back edge carefully not to fully unsnap at first (ive found that if you fully unsnap one side before the other,the bezel binds making it harder to remove). remove bezel, you will find four 7mm screws securing the stereo. slide out stereo,unplug harness by pushing on tabs.dont worry on re-installing,the plugs are "keyed" so you cannot plug them in wrong.also, this is a good time to check the radio cavity on both right and left sides for lost clips.i use a magnet to remove/find as they are hard to see.

wiring info;

black two pin plug;
orange = memory/battery
brown = park lamps (illumination)

black four pin plug; main power.
yellow = ignition +
black = ground -
grey = illumination dimmer
pink = power ant control (if equipted)

white/clear four pin plug; front speakers.
tan = LF+
grey = LF-
lt green = RF+
dk green = RF-

blue four pin plug; rear speakers.
brown = LR+
yellow = LR-
dk blue = RR+
lt blue = RR-

Concert Sound 2 harness and info;

CS2 includes the following in additon to above;
1) usually an eq upgraded radio.
2) 5 1/4'' door speakers 10ohm.
3) 3 1/2'' dash speakers changed to 10ohm also.
4) harness added for door speakers and special "Y" harness to wire all front speakers parallel at the stereo. this makes 5ohm load per channel at stereo.
note; CS2 harness is color coded the same as dash speakers,but the plug is blue like the rear speakers. if repairing harness,check the color code of the wiring,not the plug color,so the plugs are assembled correctally at the "Y" harness.

dash speaker removal/info.
1) remove 9 #15 torq screws at the top of panel. (when reinstalling,i leave somewhat loose so dash can expand /contract with tempurature helping eliminate the possiblity of cracking).
2)remove two 7mm or phillips screws. 3 1/2 4ohm non-CS, 10ohm CS2speaker.

rear deck speakers.
1) held in by a brackets.unsnap from retainer,other side will slide out of body. unplug harness. 4x10 size. 6x9 can be added with special adaptors.

CS2 speakers;
remove lower door panels and the speakers are mounted to door with special plasic housings. four 7mm or 1/4' screws. 5 1/4 10 ohm

speaker upgrade notes;

1) nothing special on the rears ( 4ohm) ,just pay attention to the polarity(dark colors are positive).if one speaker is wiried wrong,you will loose most of the bass.

2) upgrading the front speakers, non-CS2;
same as #1. observe the front color code for correct wiring.

3) CS2 speaker replacement;
heres where it gets tricky. most if not all aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. one set on a delco or aftermarket stereo is perfect. but two sets wiried in the factory CS2 harness parallel will put a 2ohm load on each front channel of the radio which sooner or later will harm/destroy the radio.
if you replace the CS2 speakers, you need to rewire the fronts in series (raising the ohm load to 8 ohms) in order to be safe and not over heat ,burn up the stereo.i will make a diagram of how i usually do this as soon as i can and post it up.
Is this diagram still around? I don't see it attached in this post.