TR-6 questions

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
What function do the 4 dip switches named "CFG" 1-2-3-4 do? I read the on line owners manual and found nothing in there about these switches??? I also found a fair amount of water in my TR-6 after going through a car wash the other day. What are you all doing to seal your ignition water tight, but still be able to take it apart easily to make adjustments? Any help or info will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 179
The box should have came sealed up plenty enough to live in the engine bay. The configure switches are for future updates and capabilities. I have one of the configure switches on for my remote 2 step rpm dial .

I also found a fair amount of water in my TR-6 after going through a car wash the other day. What are you all doing to seal your ignition water tight, but still be able to take it apart easily to make adjustments?

If you mounted it in the stock location behind the plenum, make sure the rubber weather strip at the back of the hood is intact and sealing. The TR6 enclosure isn't water-tight. If that hood seal isn't there and it gets dumped on by water coming down off the windscreen, it'll get water in it.

So make sure it doesn't get inundated.

the TR6 is very water resistant, but don't pressure-wash it. Over the years we have seen a few gasket problems here and there. Easy enough to fix. If there is water in the TR6, get it dried out as soon as possible, the alloy that the box is made from will corrode if the water stays too long.

let mw know if you need any help with it.

Config 1 and 2 are pullup resistors for input pins that we are not currently using.

Config 3 is a pullup resistor for the 2-step trigger input. if you want to use a switch to ground to activate the 2-step, then turn this one and Mode 6 on.

Config 4 is a pullup resistor for the analog input, so you can use a resistor/pot/pill to ground to set your 2-step

Bob

If the enclosure is hot and gets cooled by lots of water, it *will* fill up with water unless it is sealed to withstand significant pressure drop. So . . Make sure it's correctly sealed, and don't ever wash it when hot.

The enclosure is IP66, which is defined as withstanding powerful jets of water, so its pretty good.

I would agree with never washing it when hot, or anytime really.

Bob

I have the 2 step set to 3900 rpm. Tonight I took the car out for a test run and noticed that while driving the 2 step turned on at 3900 rpm and the rpm would not go past it. The button to activate it was mounted on the brake pedal, and something isn't right. What might be causing it to activate while moving?

I have the 2 step set to 3900 rpm. Tonight I took the car out for a test run and noticed that while driving the 2 step turned on at 3900 rpm and the rpm would not go past it. The button to activate it was mounted on the brake pedal, and something isn't right. What might be causing it to activate while moving?

moisture in the box ?

more likely an issue with the brake pedal switch. But some TR6 error conditions will make it limit RPM. Were there any codes blinking on the tach?

Bob

Are you sure your brake lights aren't on? Switch could be loose?

I sealed my box with a very thin layer of clear silicone. Let it set up for a little then just enough to squeeze out when tightening the top.

After set-up, I don't really need to access the box often. But it shouldn't be enough silicone to make it difficult to pry open if I do. Washing my engine bay is a must. So it's important for me to make things water tight.

Last edited:
more likely an issue with the brake pedal switch. But some TR6 error conditions will make it limit RPM. Were there any codes blinking on the tach?

Bob
No codes blinking anywhere, either in the box on on the tach. I turned off the third dip switch, basically turning off the two step and now the motor revs up like normal. I also checked the switch on the brake pedal and it appears to be working fine... My taillights are not on. All of these issues started when I got water in my box, so I'm wondering if something didn't get shorted out when it was wet????

I sealed my box with a very thin layer of clear silicone. Let it set up for a little then just enough to squeeze out when tightening the top.

After set-up, I don't really need to access the box often. But it shouldn't be enough silicone to make it difficult to pry open if I do. Washing my engine bay is a must. So it's important for me to make things water tight.
I think I'm going to do to the same thing.