TR-6 Dwell ? And Plug Gap?

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
I have been in the process of fabricating and customizing an entirely new ignition set-up for the Twin Turbo using the TR-6 and Holley/Pantera Smart Coils. I've been working on this stuff since the summer. Mostly, I have just been doing the mock-up stuff. I wanted to keep the car on the road until the driving season was over. Now it's F*CKING COLD! and I'm not getting much done.

But when it is finally finished, I'll post-up all the pics in a little build thread. It's going to be just a tad bit different from what others have done in the past. But this is mostly because of the details I need to address for my specific engine accessory configuration. It's looking awesome. I just love the way the whole set-up is coming out!

I shot B. Bailey a question in an e-mail a little while back and haven't heard back from him. The holidays were near and I know things can get a little crazy for all of us sometimes. So I figured I would start a little discussion about this here on Turbobuick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for now, I have a few questions.............

Holley recommends an ignition dwell time only between 4 and 5ms. For my application, It would be closer to the 5ms mark. Is there any dwell time programmed into the TR-6 logic? And if so, is it programmed based on what coils were specified with the purchase?

Because according to my calculations, at a 1000 RPM idle, there is about 720ms of available charging time between spark events on a single coil. And at 7000 RPM, there is about 102ms available. So do these coils start charging as soon as they discharge? And if so, will it shorten their lifespan and cause them to overheat and burn out?

I hope my math is close. But even if it isn't, the question still remains...... Is there dwell figured into this little box?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I have seen a thousand posts on TR-6 plug gaps. I'm using the Autolite AR4132. This has the cut-back style ground strap. Can and should I start at around a .35 gap and go from there?

Definitely u would have to get with bob about I know he was going to shoot me a custom program when I was going to run the round truck coils so shoot him a Email and I’m sure he will have the answer for you

Definitely u would have to get with bob about I know he was going to shoot me a custom program when I was going to run the round truck coils so shoot him a Email and I’m sure he will have the answer for you
Sooner or later I was going to reach out to him again. But I was sort of hoping he would jump in on this thread at his own convenience.

I probably have at least until early spring before I actually turn the key on this thing. And I saw some posts leading me to believe that he and the boys are working on some cool new stuff. So I figured, for now, just post-up for discussion.

TR6 runs 5ms dwell, a little less at higher voltages.

A few guys want some specific dwells and I have done a couple updates for them. Its easy enough to set the dwell in the software, so if I dropped the ball on some emails,, hit me up again.

The coils only charge during the dwell time, so at idle and light throttle the coils have lots of cooldown time.

The IGN1A coils pack a real punch, wire them like the app notes and make sure you use really good plug wires.

Bob

TR6 runs 5ms dwell, a little less at higher voltages.

A few guys want some specific dwells and I have done a couple updates for them. Its easy enough to set the dwell in the software, so if I dropped the ball on some emails,, hit me up again.

The coils only charge during the dwell time, so at idle and light throttle the coils have lots of cooldown time.

The IGN1A coils pack a real punch, wire them like the app notes and make sure you use really good plug wires.

Bob
Bob!

You are the best! Thank you. But please don't think it was an urgent thing that you respond to this post. It's cold as hell and I'm stuck in the house just trying to satisfy a little curiosity and create a little conversation.:)

Yes. If I remember correctly, when I placed my order, you advised me not to take any shortcuts with ignition wires or wiring in general. I remember you stressed how important that the individual coil grounds were and they should go directly to the head. Also about the hot wire to the TR-6. Also a few other things I may need to consult with you about when I get to that point.

Anyone else want to jump in on this question?

But what about the plug gap?
I have Champion R heads, with all the works. Will the AR4132 that I have been using still do the trick?
Is .35 a good start on the gap?
With the cut back style racing plug, how far can you open the gap up properly? It kind of starts leaning over sideways when you open them up a bit. Is this OK?

Bison is running those coils with a TR6, with a lot of methanol. So he may have some input on the plug question.

There is a practical limit to the plug gap, at some point the spark is going to want to track down the side of the porcelain instead of jumping the gap. I would say .035 is plenty.

Bob

Bison is running those coils with a TR6, with a lot of methanol. So he may have some input on the plug question.

There is a practical limit to the plug gap, at some point the spark is going to want to track down the side of the porcelain instead of jumping the gap. I would say .035 is plenty.

Bob
Yep. Well like most things, I figure there will be a little trial and error. Just needed a somewhat good starting point.