TPS setting

tford

Registered Member
Car is running rich, so decided to adjust the TPS sensor to see if it fixes the problem. My plan was to change the oil first before starting it up since the oil smells like fuel. The only thing is, according to what I've researched, I need to warm the engine up to set iac before setting the tps. The thing that sucks though is while warming it up during my rich condition, I'll be contaminating the fresh oil again. Can I just adjust the tps to get it close enough without needing to start it for the iac adjustment? I'm hoping the tps adjustment alone (with out iac adjustment) will at least get me in the ballpark so it isn't running so rich when I start it. Any thoughts? Thanks, Tim

You don’t need to warm the engine up before you adjust the TPS.

I wouldn’t even do it with the engine running.

Just power up the car and check the TPS voltage, loosen the screws and adjust it.

It's probably your maf or O2 sensor. Of course that's just a guess, based on personal experience.

I verified maf numbers on the scanmaster and o2 is brand new. Haven't fired it since replacing so it might be fixed already but I just want to go through every possible problem before I try to start it again. I'm setting the tps, changing the oil and plugs, then I'll give it a try. Fingers crossed.

I played with mine for a long time with no improvement. Replaced parts and just threw money at it still ran like crap. Finally, I replaced the chip. What a difference! The T runs like it's supposed to! Just a thought.

Maybe you have a leaky injector? How quick does your fuel pressure bleed off after shutting down? What tps value do you have now?

I verified maf numbers on the scanmaster and o2 is brand new.

This is VERY important... 'Brand new' DOES NOT equal 'working correctly'. Not in any way shape for form. When it comes to troubleshooting 'known good' trumps 'new' every single time (just like women).

In this case of O2s, there's only two new ones that hold water. Delco, and Denso. (Denso being the far better of the two).

If you have a new Bosch O2, pull it from your car and look closely at the very tip.... while throwing it as far as you can.

then go pick it up, and throw it again.

Going on what earl said I ha e bought so called brand new parts and they where faulty . This happened to me twice with a ignition module. With the tps setting I actually adjust the IAC to around 10-15 warm then I go back and set my tps to 42-46 . I would make sure your grounds are nice and clean on the back of the head also take a look at your fuseable links attached to your starter they have been down there for a long time right next to your hot ass crossover pipe and tend to cause all sorts weird issues that will drive ppl crazy because of it being intermittent. Anyway good luck with your turbo Buick adventure and keep spoolin

Car is running rich, so decided to adjust the TPS sensor to see if it fixes the problem. My plan was to change the oil first before starting it up since the oil smells like fuel. The only thing is, according to what I've researched, I need to warm the engine up to set iac before setting the tps. The thing that sucks though is while warming it up during my rich condition, I'll be contaminating the fresh oil again. Can I just adjust the tps to get it close enough without needing to start it for the iac adjustment? I'm hoping the tps adjustment alone (with out iac adjustment) will at least get me in the ballpark so it isn't running so rich when I start it. Any thoughts? Thanks, Tim
Really need more information. Has it always been rich or did this just start? Did you change anything recently? Is it rich only on cold startup or rich all the time? What about warm startup? Is it rich throughout the rpm range? How about at WOT? Does it vary with engine temperature? You have a Powerlogger. Post a file.

The o2 is a Denso. AC plugs gapped a .032. I changed a bunch of stuff. Leaking injector is my next thing to look at since that is something I replaced. Ran rich after engine replacement. I also changed chip, coil, injectors, and added a wideband setup with powerlogger. It starts going rich as soon as I give it gas. Not anywhere near WOT yet until it runs better at part throttle. Thanks for the input guys. After I set the tps, I'll go through every thing I replaced one by one.

Cam sensor was the first thing I looked at. Bought the tool to set it properly.

Well, I sent the car away to a well known tuner and they found out the chip was burned for the wrong size injectors. Been chasing my tail for months on this thing. Can't wait to get her back.

How was it determined the chip was programmed wrong? Did they go by what was programmed into the injector constant?