TPS problems

TurboSmart

In my 87, there is a slight miss if I press the accel pedal fast, like bliping the throttle.

If I disconnect the TPS, the car accels perfect.

I have adjusted the TPS several times.

Could my TPS or its wiring be bad?

Generally, if the tps and IAC are a bit out of adjustment you will experience a tip in stumble.

Posted to TurboBuick.com from my RAZR MAXX HD

Well, iac numbers are 27, tps is at .46
Still having problems.

Could the iac be dirty?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

TPS is a little high there. Try backing down to .42 and at least 4.50 when matting the throttle. That may bring your IAC number down a little also. My TPS went bad this year and a new one fixed it. I was getting .00 - .08 :eek: but it would run and stumble on the default setting.

In my 87, there is a slight miss if I press the accel pedal fast, like bliping the throttle.

If I disconnect the TPS, the car accels perfect.

I have adjusted the TPS several times.

Could my TPS or its wiring be bad?
The car runs good with the TPS disconnected? :confused:

Yep...
No miss with the tps removed.
I have the stock ecu with chip.
Could this be the chip or maf ( 3.5 with translator)

Car idles perdect.

The car idles perfect with the TPS disconnected? weird that is.

Do you have a scanmaster?

Actually it idles quite jumpy with the TPS removed but there is no hesitation if I blip the throttle.

I am using turbolink to check parameters.

My IAC number is 26/27
TPS is set at 0.47 after fidling with the idle speed screw

My next step is to adjust TPS lower, maybe 0.40 as suggested, then remove the IAC valve and clean the air passages, valve and TB area after a good warm up. Cant spary carb cleaner with the engine running or the neighbors will call the fire dept on me....again because the smoke.

You might want to remove the IAC and spray carb, or brake cleaner WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING, also spray inside throttle body, and don't damage the IAC gasket.

As mention before you need to read this site as it will explain the terms and also how to make the proper adjustment to where the base number of the IAC is around 15-25 and the TPS is at 42.

Idle speed is set by the chip, not by the IAC adjustment screw

Get everything else right first but the TPS could have a "flat spot". Always the same physical pedal position?

dont understand the question....
How the TPS develop a flat spot and how check it.

I have the angles IAC adapter but the problem predates that install.

i was planning to unscrew the IAC and clean the "valve seat", add some liquid thread sealer and recheck again.

Crud or oxidation could cause the TPS to be incorrect/open in one specific spot. If you experience the phenomena at the same pedal position consistently this would add credence to the hypothesis.

The experienced gentlemen are working you thru the most likely scenarios based on your symptoms so do continue on that path.

Can I open the tps to check?
The problem is consistent from zero throttle.
Will not happen if I the pedal slowly.

Any sugestions?
I was even thinking of faulty wiring.
Will try adjusting it. 0.47 seems to be too high.

Yep...
No miss with the tps removed.
I have the stock ecu with chip.
Could this be the chip or maf ( 3.5 with translator)

Car idles perdect.

If you have the stock chip then that is most likely your problem. You still need to properly adjust your tps though.

I have a tuned chip
Dunno the config as it came with the car.

Open the ecm and pull out the chip. There will be a sticker with writing on it. Let us know what you find.