TPS bad?? Pulling my hair out!! Please help

Your wiring is backwards to your tps . Idk how u managed to do that but yea it should read .42 at idle and above 4.5 wot .

If your turbo regal is an 86-87. You can get an TPS from O'reilly auto parts. They have the BWD brand and it has a lifetime warranty. You will have to call your local store or look it up online to see if they have it in stock or they will have to order it for you and you can pick it up at the store or have them ship it to you.

Here is a link for the TPS at the store.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...n-sensor/ec1098/2597733/1986/buick/regal?q=tp

TPS
110eeaa36c3bf7647ac9d3b10d442134.jpg

The angle of the TPS in your photo looks a bit weird to me. When i have my TPS set to .42 the front / top of it is slightly tilted upward.

Then, rotate the top of the sensor CCW a bit until your scan tool indicates an idle TPS voltage of say 0.38-0.44 volts
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The 84-85 sensor costs $102.00 at Caspers,$204.00 at O'reilly and Auto Zone,and $223.00 at Advance. Based on the price,the OP knows now what he has. The 86-89 tps is in the $40.00-$70.00 range.

Last edited:
ecmwiring1.jpg
Try switching A & C .
The weather pack connector comes apart and you can switch the pins.

Is it possible you have the throttle blade not seated in the notch of the tps. I remember hearing someone having same problem a while back.

View attachment 311374
Try switching A & C .
The weather pack connector comes apart and you can switch the pins.
I find it hard to believe that someone would pay $200.00 for a tps sensor,but perhaps the wrong sensor got put in the correct box. Switching a and c will work if this is a case of an 84-85 sensor on an 86-89 system,but the next person who replaces the sensor will be very frustrated. If the OP is anything like me,this will happen many years down the road to him again and he will have forgotten about what he did this time. If this is a case of an 84-85 sensor on an 86-89 set-up,the best,cheapest and safest way to fix this is to buy the correct sensor.

Is it possible you have the throttle blade not seated in the notch of the tps. I remember hearing someone having same problem a while back.
Since it is working correctly but in an opposite manner,the only things that make sense are that he has the wrong sensor or someone changed the wiring.
The top wire should be grey,the middle wire should be dark blue,and the bottom wire should be black.
If the top wire is black and the bottom wire is grey,someone has switched those 2 wires. If that is the case,the proper way to fix this is to switch those 2 wires back to there correct positions in the connector housing.

Last edited:
Since it is working correctly but in an opposite manner,the only things that make sense are that he has the wrong sensor or someone changed the wiring.
The top wire should be grey,the middle wire should be dark blue,and the bottom wire should be black.
If the top wire is black and the bottom wire is grey,someone has switched those 2 wires. If that is the case,the proper way to fix this is to switch those 2 wires back to there correct positions in the connector housing.

I had to go look at my wiring for the connector plug to the TPS. Mine is top wire black,middle wire is dark blue, bottom wire is light gray. It runs / idles perfect.

While i was out there i set my TPS like he has his set in the photo and it went to 0.0 I was just curious to see.

Last edited:
Mine is top wire black,middle wire is dark blue, bottom wire is light gray. It runs / idles perfect.
If you have an 86-89 and it is wired as you say,someone has installed an 84-85 tps and swapped the grey and black wires.
The 86-89 tps has grey top terminal A,dark blue middle terminal B,and black bottom terminal C just as the OP shows his car having in the picture he provided. My car is this way also and the Buick Chassis Service Manual shows it to be as I've described.

If you have an 86-89 and it is wired as you say,someone has installed an 84-85 tps and swapped the grey and black wires.
The 86-89 tps has grey top terminal A,dark blue middle terminal B,and black bottom terminal C just as the OP shows his car having in the picture he provided. My car is this way also and the Buick Chassis Service Manual shows it to be as I've described.

The TPS is one i bought from Oreilly auto parts it's an BWD brand for an 86 turbo buick regal vin code 7.

This is the TPS i have.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...n-sensor/ec1098/2597733/1986/buick/regal?q=tp

This is the replacement TPS connector plug i have. And it shows the wires as i stated from top to bottom, black,dark blue,light gray.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-16631/throttle-position-sensor-connector-114

But i did replace the connector wiring plug about 8 years ago and it's made by BWD and i bought it from Oreilly's. I don't remember switching any wires around when i installed it.

It is weird though that the OP has the correct wiring to the connector plug for the TPS but has the wrong readings.

I have the wrong wiring to the connector plug but i have the correct readings and it idles and runs perfect.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of a 84-85 tps.
http://www.casperselectronics.com/c...roduct/product&path=7_53_54_11&product_id=912

Here is a picture of a 86-89 tps.
http://www.casperselectronics.com/c...uct_id=252&search=tps+sensor&description=true

As you can see,they sweep in opposite directions because the 2 different throttle bodies rotate in opposite directions as they open. I don't know how anyone could install the wrong sensor on either system. It would be difficult to do.
If you have a 86-89 system the top wire should have 5 volts with it disconnected and the ignition switch on no matter what color the wire is. The bottom wire should have continuity to ground no matter what color the wire is.
If you have a 84-85 sensor on a 86-89 system,the actuator pin that is connected to the throttle shaft will be below the sweep arm at idle. It will be above the sweep arm if the correct 86-89 sensor is installed.

Last edited:
TPS
110eeaa36c3bf7647ac9d3b10d442134.jpg

Based on this picture ,we can see that the tps is the correct 86-98 sensor and the wires are correct according to color. We can't tell if the connector is an aftermarket connector and pigtail that is spliced incorrectly,we can't tell if the sensor was manufactured incorrectly,and we don't know if the top wire has a constant 5 volts with the ignition switch in the run position,but everything we can see is correct.

The OP originally started a thread in the electrical & wiring forum about this problem. Here is his response to my question about how the engine ran before the problem happened.

So how did the engine idle and run with the old TPS ?
It ran great until it went out...

#4stevendmckee, Sunday at 1:44 PM

I ordered a new TPS from oreileys should be here this afternoon. Going to put it on and see if it tunes correctly

The TPS is one i bought from Oreilly auto parts it's an BWD brand for an 86 turbo buick regal vin code 7.

This is the TPS i have.

This is the replacement TPS connector plug i have. And it shows the wires as i stated from top to bottom, black,dark blue,light gray.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-16631/throttle-position-sensor-connector-114

But i did replace the connector wiring plug about 8 years ago and it's made by BWD and i bought it from Oreilly's. I don't remember switching any wires around when i installed it.

It is weird though that the OP has the correct wiring to the connector plug for the TPS but has the wrong readings.

I have the wrong wiring to the connector plug but i have the correct readings and it idles and runs perfect.
There was a discussion on face book last week about the wires on the tps sold by the parts stores. The colored wires are wrong but the sensor works fine with no wire swapping needed.

If you've never done so, remove the iac valve and give it a good cleaning with throttle body cleaner, along with the hole that it screws in to. Also remove the up pipe and wipe out the throttle body.