TPS bad?? Pulling my hair out!! Please help

stevendmckee

Ok so I'm idling up to 1400-1700rpm in park and neutral and 1000+ in gear.

Checked the new TPS i had installed on my scanmaster it's showing 4.5 at idle and 1.28 at WOT.... car has a mild cam in it so it had a nice chop sound at idle and now it's gone and idling up too high.

I checked the IAC adjust screw on the back of the throttle linkage arm and it's adjusted back to just a hair of a turn touching the throttle plate....

Do I have a bad TPS? Put a multimeter on it and it was showing the same numbers at the connector as the scanmaster...

I am so frustrated with this thing I don't know what else to check. I have read every post related to TPS adjustment, I've tried and tried to get it down to the parameters everyone suggested (.40 & 4.2) but it won't go anywhere close to that....

Please please help me???!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

At idle warmed up in park it is sitting at 81
f896cd5f54021858b7199693f6345ceb.jpg

I posted the link for IAC adjustment. Should be 10-20 and TPS about .42 key on. Stay calm...and read up on both IAC and TPS.:)

Last edited:
Yeah I went out and rechecked the adjustment screw after reading the links you sent and it was a hair away from even touching the throttle stop plate. I cannot adjust it back anymore... I adjusted it out to where it is at least touching the plate now and I get no change in my IAC counts or my TPS number... TPS number was verified on a voltmeter too

WTH??
7d47217e8e2526dbac3f30c59666f770.jpg

Yeah I went out and rechecked the adjustment screw after reading the links you sent and it was a hair away from even touching the throttle stop plate. I cannot adjust it back anymore... I adjusted it out to where it is at least touching the plate now and I get no change in my IAC counts or my TPS number... TPS number was verified on a voltmeter too

WTH??
7d47217e8e2526dbac3f30c59666f770.jpg

TPS
110eeaa36c3bf7647ac9d3b10d442134.jpg

Your TPS should read .42...key on...engine not running. IAC should be 10-20 engine warmed up in Park.

Yeah I'm not getting anything close to that TPS number no matter how I adjust it.... it is not dropping out of the "4.**" range at idle with the key on and the engine off. At WOT it is giving me a reading of "1.28". That's what I don't get, I am nowhere near the range it is supposed to be in and my IAC is the same...? So you can see why I'm so frustrated with this thing... all the numbers are verified on my scanmaster and using a voltmeter

Setting the throttle blade is separate from the tps. Loosen tps mounting screw and move that. Not the throttle blade screw. Generally speaking.

Take the TPS off the throttle body and see what your base reading is. If it can't get down to the .42 range or lower, you might have a bad sensor.

Keep in mine the TPS and IAC adjustment mess with each other. You have to go back and forth quite a few times to make them both happy.

One more thing to keep in mind with trying to find a fast idle is to make sure the cruise control cable has some slack in it. if there's no free play, that cable can keep the throttle blade from hitting the stop (AKA IAC screw)

Take the TPS off the throttle body and see what your base reading is. If it can't get down to the .42 range or lower, you might have a bad sensor.

Keep in mine the TPS and IAC adjustment mess with each other. You have to go back and forth quite a few times to make them both happy.

One more thing to keep in mind with trying to find a fast idle is to make sure the cruise control cable has some slack in it. if there's no free play, that cable can keep the throttle blade from hitting the stop (AKA IAC screw)
Didn't think to look at the cruise cable, I'll check that out when it stops raining. Also I will take the tps completely off and leave it plugged in and see what type of readings I get from it. I really am thinking it's a bad sensor

Hot Air TPS is reversed from 86-87 TR.

You can switch two of the leads to reverse the polarity.

Make sure that you have the right TPS.

Juan

I have 85,87,89.
It looks like you have a 84-85 tps instead of a 86.87,89 tps.

You need to look at the vin 7 schematics and ohm the tps or get another known tps.

I have 85,87,89.
It looks like you have a 84-85 tps instead of a 86.87,89 tps.

You need to look at the vin 7 schematics and ohm the tps or get another known tps.
That's what I am thinking too... it's definitely not right. It is all reversed from what it's supposed to be when I try to adjust/set it