Tough knock question

there is an extender and extender extreme chip, extender reads 2x the airflow, extreme reads 3x the flow and you have to set gen2 for which chip
Have you tried a new fuel psi gauge yet? had a couple go bad and chased my tail for a while....you are trying a new ls maf? good idea it might be iffy.

Gotta ask my instructor if he has a fuel pressure gauge with a hose long enough to get to the windshield. ;)
Overall, until I get one attached, I have a good feeling it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. But will verify anyhow.

Alright. Went out and logged some runs. The first few are with the stock maf and a TT alky chip with the timing set to street chip standards. Boost's around 16. Tank full of 93.
The last one's with a brand new LS1 aluminum old style. Couldn't get a real WOTs because as I left the garage it had just started to rain :( The files named new street chip is with a stock maf and a TT 91 street chip set for my combo. Boosts around 16 as well. Still the same 93 octane gas in it though. The run with the lots of KR is with two twists of the wastegate rod and 2% fuel pulled due to the crazy rich conditions still present in the car. The run with the lots of KR was when the car accidentally down shifted to first when I think it should have been 2nd, and spiked the kr up. I didn't even hit the pedal that hard either. It was after that that I put the settings back to stock in the chip and put in a brand new aluminum LS1 maf.

Attachments

• alkychipmemorialday.dat
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • newttstreetchipmemorialday2.dat
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
  • newttstreetchipmemorialday3.dat
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • memdayrun4.dat
    4.1 MB · Views: 48
  • memdayrun5 kr.dat
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • newls1aluminummaf.dat
    202.9 KB · Views: 57
That was because it kicked down too far. When I roll into it slowly and smoothly it didn't knock. And to be fair, that shouldn't have been 20 psi, it should have been 18 or so. The wastegate rod setting was showing 17 consistently before that. I threw a twist and a half on it to see what it would do. I'm thinking there's a boost leak as well, because it shoots up to say 18 for a second, then bleeds down about two psi after 2 seconds of wot. I corrected the fuel and boost settings and will take it out again with the new maf to see what happens. At any rate, whatever I do, the car runs pig rich. I have decent control of the wot fuel, but nothing I do can change the part open throttle, or mild acceleration richness. So I tried three different mafs, and two chips and she's still super rich. Some more than others though. So that's out of the equation. Next is the wide band. We'll change to an AEM wideband, and move it down stream as well, and see what sort of readings I get there.

Edit: If my boost does odd things like this, besides a leak causing it, could it be a weird boost solenoid? Should I try to unhook it, and have the wastegate control it as a test to see?

Last edited:
How much would a tps sensor affect this condition? I noticed a weird dip in my tps voltage while under a steady wot condition. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Also, do you guys that are reading my power log files seeing my AFR's? During just plain cruise, is it supposed to read allll over the place constantly? There are times when my AFRs are like 19, and some times where they're in the 9's. This seems wronger than two boys in a sleeping bag. Are your guys' AFRs like this?

Last edited:
Here's a log with the boost down to about 14 or so, and .8% fuel pulled at WOT to try and counter act the rich condition. I pulled some boost because I seen some high 17s for a second, and I'm not comfortable with that right now in this stage. Why is some of the inputs soo inconsistent, when some of the others are dead straight across? My tps was maxed and straight across, while some of the other data still varied quite a bit. Isn't that odd?

Attachments

• new maf wot good.dat
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
Welp, that's it for me. I'm done. I've done the different maf thing, different chip thing, adjusted tps/iac thing, pulled a load of fuel at wot thru the chip, nothing. I've got nothing left. This thing runs 9's in AFRs, but idles in 19's without any low load fuel added. To get the car barely baselined, and running like a car would in 87 with no mods, I have the low load 800 rpm fuel maxed at +62.5 percent, with a ton of fuel pulled in the translator and chip just to barely keep it in the high 9's for part accel and wot. Allllll that fuel pulled only raised me on average of .4 AFR lol. I went from 9.5 AFR to barely sometimes hitting an even ten. I've zero clue in which direction to head now lol.

You keep chasing your tail while you've been told to revert to the simpler translator/ls maf and a different brand wb. Can't help you any more than that.

I know. I was thinking of that a few minutes ago. Now where do I find one for cheap. And, if it doesn't fix it, what do I do with it lol.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried backing off the engine brace to see if the knock problem changes or goes away? I've never used one, so don't know how resilient the bumper is that contacts the frame.

Haven't tried the engine brace, but the rubber's pretty soft :) And it was running like a champ because I had 62 percent fuel added at idle. And even though it was running good, I don't want to run around with 30 percent fuel pulled in every range possible but 800 rmps low load. That's just not right. I want this car right, not bandaided all to hell. I want to find the reason it requires this fuel, not treat the symptoms. I baselined the translator, and am starting from scratch. I think I'm going to try a basic translator and see what kind of numbers that gives me. :)

Anyone have a basic translator for me to try? All I wanna do is plug it in, log a few runs and send it back :) If it changes my problems, I'll either buy it from you, or buy a new one.

Yanked the translator and am now on a tt 91 street chip with 93 in the tank, with the factory maf. Got my idle to settle down but all the same problems are still present lol. Idles about 1.5 AFR leaner than it should, and is somehow still at 9.2 9.3 9.4 at WOT with about 15 psi boost. How... This is with translator, without translator, stock maf, ls1 aluminum maf, ls1 plastic maf, TT alky chip, TT street chip, and Bob Bailey alky chip. It doesn't matter. It idles lean and does everything else rich. I have another ecm, stock, not set up for power logger. Should I try that? Or no.

Attachments

• stock maf no translator.dat
    633.5 KB · Views: 56
Yanked the translator and am now on a tt 91 street chip with 93 in the tank, with the factory maf. Got my idle to settle down but all the same problems are still present lol. Idles about 1.5 AFR leaner than it should, and is somehow still at 9.2 9.3 9.4 at WOT with about 15 psi boost. How... This is with translator, without translator, stock maf, ls1 aluminum maf, ls1 plastic maf, TT alky chip, TT street chip, and Bob Bailey alky chip. It doesn't matter. It idles lean and does everything else rich. I have another ecm, stock, not set up for power logger. Should I try that? Or no.

I think for whatever it's worth, for everything you have done, I would take the car to Bison, or someone. Just saying.

I see 11.5 at the 1-2 shift point and 9.5 at the 2-3 shift point....and 9.2 at WOT...just before you let your foot out of it. KR is zero. Watching the RPM gauge, I'd say the car moved out pretty decent in 1st and 2nd...so what's the issue?

9.2 is WAYYYY too rich. It MOST of time causes rich knock. Even Eric Marshall said dipping below like 10.1 is just way too rich, and will cause knock. :( Plus my gas mileage SUCKS. Going to try and see if there's any leaks in the headers. Also, can anyone here tell me how the fueling reacts to boost? Is the fueling based off of commanded boost period, or does it react off of what's actually goin down. I ask because I really believe I have a boost leak, and if the fuel is commanded for say 17 psi, and there's a leak that the car doesn't know about somewhere, would I be getting 17 psi worth of fueling at a lousy 14.5-15 psi of boost? Would that make me super rich up top? Because my boost spikes, so I have to keep it around 15, because when I first hit it, it'll hit high 16's sometimes, and that's pretty much the max for my combo on pump gas right? If I up the boost any, it'll spike to 19 then settle at 17, which would give me KR.

I wish I could take it to bison lol. I can't travel due to too many commitments here :( Where is he anyway?

9.2 is WAYYYY too rich. It MOST of time causes rich knock. Even Eric Marshall said dipping below like 10.1 is just way too rich, and will cause knock. :( Plus my gas mileage SUCKS. Going to try and see if there's any leaks in the headers. Also, can anyone here tell me how the fueling reacts to boost? Is the fueling based off of commanded boost period, or does it react off of what's actually goin down. I ask because I really believe I have a boost leak, and if the fuel is commanded for say 17 psi, and there's a leak that the car doesn't know about somewhere, would I be getting 17 psi worth of fueling at a lousy 14.5-15 psi of boost? Would that make me super rich up top? Because my boost spikes, so I have to keep it around 15, because when I first hit it, it'll hit high 16's sometimes, and that's pretty much the max for my combo on pump gas right? If I up the boost any, it'll spike to 19 then settle at 17, which would give me KR.

I wish I could take it to bison lol. I can't travel due to too many commitments here :( Where is he anyway?

Where is Bison. Not really sure but somewhere above the Mason-Dixon Line , which I believe is three miles north of Charlotte NC