torque convertor???? stall???

nickrov

What torque convertor should be used for a.turbo Buick on auto x course and a frequent driver?

What stall?

Lock up or no?

Why?

Does the ta headers help or hinder us?

Who has some input on the subject?

You need to match the convertor, turbocharger, and engine to minimize lag. That's going to mean running a slightly smaller turbo than you would normally find recommended here, with possibly a slightly higher stall.

From a purely performance on the course aspect, the lockup doesn't matter. You'll rarely be going fast enough at part throttle for it to engage, but you'll appreciate the boost in gas mileage and it cuts down on heat in the transmission when cruising.

I put new headers on simply for reliability. My stock manifold was constantly cracking on the driver side. It just got to be too much of a pain constantly pulling it off and having it welded back.

I spec'd a combo for an auto cross application last year and we went with an EFR turbo and race ported aluminum heads and about 9:1 CR. I selected some cam lobes and separation that generated more exhaust energy at lower rpm than I would for a drag strip engine so that Spoolup is very rapid. don't know the exact power this combo produces but it's at least 500+whp on 93 octane pump fuel with no Alky. Id rec a proper non lock converter for this type of application. I would rec a small tube header and crossover for faster response. A 2" fabricated wrapped crossover on stock headers works very well and will help spoolup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk