Torque converter opinion?

groumoutis

My TC is in need of replacement and I'm not sure what converter to go with. I am running alky. I don't take it to the track but I do use every one of the horses that it produces. I am planning on putting a TA49 in it when the factory turbo dies on me. I might put a little bit more of a cam than the factory but that is it. What converter would be good for now and with those possible upgrades?

I ran a protorque 10.5 lockup on a ta49 and it rocked,have a friend that runs there 12 inch and that car goes real good too,if you want to run a non lock the ptc 9.5 is my favorite by far.

My TC is in need of replacement and I'm not sure what converter to go with. I am running alky. I don't take it to the track but I do use every one of the horses that it produces. I am planning on putting a TA49 in it when the factory turbo dies on me. I might put a little bit more of a cam than the factory but that is it. What converter would be good for now and with those possible upgrades?

I would suggest my 3021 lock-up 9.5" converter for your combo. I also have a 12" converter that would work well depending on future mods. I would not change the stock cam. Install new valve springs and supporting mods if you haven't already done so.. If you need any more info, feel free to contact me anytime...

Last edited:
Just have your stock converter
Restalled to 2800
Leave the lock up
Its cheep to do
And will support future upgrades

I would suggest my 3021 lock-uo 9.5" converter for your combo. I also have a 12" converter that would work well depending on future mods. I would not change the stock cam. Install new valve springs and supporting mods if you haven't already done so.. If you need any more info, feel free to contact me anytime...
I put Dave's 3021 in my car and it is an awesome choice. Great product and great service too!!!

If you go with the TA 49...with the .63 Garrett exhaust housing...try it out first...BEFORE you shell out for a new convertor. If you're happy with how it spools...then leave the convertor as is. If you're using Erics chip...then low gear fueling/timing can be tweaked to quicken spool time.

A lot of guys go with a 2800 convertor with a 44/49...so when they mash the gas...the tires go up in smoke. Keep in mind while you're blowing the tires off the rims...and going nowhere...the guy beside you is leaving you behind. I'd rather have slight lag...than lose a race cuz I hazed the tires.

I just got a new trans/converter combo. I too have a ta49 & went with a 9.5" & a 2600 stall speed. It seems to be perfect for my combo.

I have taken maximum (20%) fuel from 1st gear & added 3* timing to 1-2 gear. It spools very quick. I have good tires & minor suspension work done, my car hooks really good. Minimal tire spin.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Are you sure your transmission is good and not filled up with debris from the converter. I'd hate to put another converter in to have if filled up with trash right away. As has been stated, if possible try the turbo with your converter first. That way if your happy that is $$ saved.

If you go with the TA 49...with the .63 Garrett exhaust housing...try it out first...BEFORE you shell out for a new convertor. If you're happy with how it spools...then leave the convertor as is. If you're using Erics chip...then low gear fueling/timing can be tweaked to quicken spool time.

A lot of guys go with a 2800 convertor with a 44/49...so when they mash the gas...the tires go up in smoke. Keep in mind while you're blowing the tires off the rims...and going nowhere...the guy beside you is leaving you behind. I'd rather have slight lag...than lose a race cuz I hazed the tires.

L A G
*** LOST ANOTHER GRAND ****

LAG DONT NEED IT DONT WANT IT
DRAG RADIALS A MUST

So taking some fuel from 1st and adding timing to 1-2 gear will help spool up slightly? Did I read that right?

Cool.... I will experiment some adjustments this weekend. The lag I have is minor. Thanks for the tip.