Torque converter noise

cronanzone

Any ideas on this noise? It is a single disk circle D 9” pro billet.

Mainly audible @ idle/neutral. Goes away under load ( Or at least reduces greatly under load )

I know I’m probably going to have to pull it, I’m just curious if anyone out there has been down this road and had this noise and can tell me what it was for them.....And maybe its not as bad as it sounds?

It is NOT the flywheel (no cracks), or torque converter bolts (tight).

If I end up having to pull it, Recommendations for an upgrade given my setup below, street only use only.

-PT intercooler
-PT6765JB turbo
-80# inj
-Stage 3 2004r by Mike Kurtz (hoping trans not compromised that due to converter issue - trans not showing any issues, yet..)
-circle d 245mm pro billet single disk lock up 3400 stall
-340stealth FP w hot wire
-alky inj. kit
-6.1 turbo tweak chip 93 pump gas
-power logger etc.
-gen1 translator
-dual 3” GN1 exhaust

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the noise goes away under load it may be that the flywheel bolts are loose or there is a crack in the flywheel that is not visible with the transmission still in the car. You probably pulled the converter back to look at the flywheel? I've heard a noise like that before that ended up being a bad flywheel. You may also want to try shorting one plug wire at a time to see if it changes the noise. That would eliminate any individual cylinder causing the noise.

Unbolt the converter from the flexplate and slide it back and run the engine and see if the noise goes away.

If it does, pull it and replace it. If not, well, keep looking.

If the noise goes away under load it may be that the flywheel bolts are loose or there is a crack in the flywheel that is not visible with the transmission still in the car. You probably pulled the converter back to look at the flywheel? I've heard a noise like that before that ended up being a bad flywheel. You may also want to try shorting one plug wire at a time to see if it changes the noise. That would eliminate any individual cylinder causing the noise.

Def not the flywheel, that was my first suspicion, too. I’ll Try your other suggestion.

Thx!

Are you sure it's coming from the converter? Have you disconnected the converter to see if the noise goes away?

99.9% sure it’s converter ( you know how noises can “bounce” though). I have not disconnected it yet, will I have to get it back over to my buddies house with a lift. Will report back.

Thx