Tore down garage and found this....

groumoutis

This is a normal sized shovel. The concrete goes down 5 feet! The concrete will be broken up this week. I really hope we don't find a dead body under there! Maybe we will find Jimmy Hoffa under there. My neighbors last name is Hoffa!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403136719.452548.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403136731.153134.jpg

This garage was built in the 1950's and the guy doing all the work has torn down houses and garages plus built several and he said he said he has never seen a footer go this deep. This guy is in his early sixties. The code doesn't require this deep of footers. The code just says the water pipes have to be below the frost line (3 feet).

That's your foundation, not the footing! It has to be below the frost line. 42" here in northern nj..

Looks like a stem wall, back filed.Slab on grade.but you would have to be building one hell of a garage in the 1950's

It's alittle hard to tell but it almost looks like 6" block.
Where are you located??

Too bad you had to tear it out. It would really support a lift!

I'm in Indiana and there isn't any block. That is poured concrete. The floor appears to be about 8 inches thick. Had to tear it down. It was only 12x24. We are building a bigger one so I can put in a lift. After last winter she really wants a bigger garage.

"After last winter she really wants a bigger garage."

Huh?? Sounds like wifey' comment is the "excuse" for a man cave!!:D

Are you sure that there's not a sealed up basement in there?

We got all the concrete busted up and hauled away. No dead body but there was actually rebar in the foundation. I did decide to take some measurements and the top of the footer was at 61 inches deep. The people who built the old one built it to last. The Amish are building my new one so it should be pretty well built.