Top end power?

mike85gn

Get Bent!
Just thought back on a few track experiences and was thinking about picking up some top end power. I'd like to get the powerband to extend right to redline, probably another 500rpm or so. The engine is fresh (not stopping me from doing springs and seals next year) should I just open up the heads a bit and do some intake work as planned? I seem to be loosing a few precious tenths up top right before the shifts, after about 5300rpm it just doesn't have the power. This is definately killing me in the top of 3rd gear at the big end! So a few hundred RPM-worth of extra power on top should really help pick up a few tenths. Any other thoughts? Should I leave the heads and do the intake? Do a bit to both (I'm not going to get carried away here)? Add a mild cam, like a 200/200? or a 206? Or just plain ol' intercool it?

my understanding is that a "bigger" cam makes the biggest difference in a shift of power through the rpm band. the head and intake work definately wouldn't hurt though.

I am right on that anyone? because of the longer duration and higher lift on bigger cams that at higher rpms the engine is able to get in more air and out more exhaust more effectively down the track?

When I added ported heads and a cam the top end was a little better but after the big turbo it really woke up on the top. I don't think the stock turbo lets the better heads and bigger cam do their job as well as they could.

Well, I've got a TA33 now, so I should benefit more from heads/intake porting than I would if I was still running the stock unit, right? Was also thinking of getting IC intake and plenum and TB and exhaust and accessory brackets and cables and converting, I have access to all this crap now, should I give it a try? Or just cut up the intake and add my own intercooler?