Took the wife's F150 Ecoboost to the track

Mike T

Since my car is on the disabled list I thought it would be fun to take my two son's to the track in my wife's truck. On the way I started thinking this would be a good time to take them down the track and get them familiar with how to burn out and stage.

A quick call to the wife got us the green light to beat on her truck for "educational purposes";)

The ET was ok for a big truck but I was surprised at the MPH.

ecoboost1.jpg
ecoboost2.jpg

Funny. I took my wifes EB F150 to the track a couple weeks ago. You need to get that thing tuned!!! I pulled a 13.8@98mph with a 1.93 60ft. I could have gone faster if I was a bit braver with the launch though. I had the MPT stree performance tune on it. Next time I'll try the race tune and have some real fun muahahahaaa!!!!

Yes they did... I plan on getting them both more involved in cars since they don't play baseball anymore.

My wife has owned probably 10 Ford trucks and out of all of them this is the only one that I like.

My DD is a 98 S-10 with a 4 cylinder, 5 speed , no a/c and missing the side view mirrors. It gets the drain oil from her truck and I put a new oil filter on it every couple of years:).

I love the new F150. I conned the wife into us getting this one a few months ago. We previously had an '06 Titan and a '10 Ecoboost Flex. She LOVED the Flex and I never thought I could get her to get rid of it, but the promise of selling 2 vehicles and coming up with enough dough to pay for 1 brand new truck fully loaded with air conditioned / heated seats, touch screen, etc sealed the deal. We found a 2013 FX4 EB F150 SCREW with luxury package on the lot in March of 2014 and got a smokin' enough deal to use the money from the sale of the other 2 vehicles to pay for it. My wife misses the Flex. but she loves the truck. It makes my 2014 WRX feel like a clunker.

MPT has fantastic tunes for the EB F150's. I have their street, race, and towing tunes. I have not used the race tune, but the street and towing make a huge difference in how the truck drives.

Launching in 4WD with the locker engaged helps the 60ft's. ;) I left easy this time. Next time I'm going to go for a 1.7 60 and get that mid 14 sec pass. I took out a duramax, Powerstroke, and a new Hemi dodge with the 8 speed trans. Good times.

This truck was a 2012 left over bought in 2013. She was lucky to get it because there were only 2 long bed crew cab left in the state at the time.

MPT has fantastic tunes for the EB F150's. I have their street, race, and towing tunes.

Was it a tune only that got you the 13.8 or were there bolt on items?

Last edited:
Tune only. I am otherwise stock down to the paper air filter. I had a lot of people scratching their heads at the track. The truck was dirty as hell when I took it to the track including the engine bay. Good times. I've seen too many folks waste their time on intakes, exhausts, and charge air pipes on these trucks and run 14's. I have a buddy who has put a lot of R&D into the Ecoboost platform and he knows what works / what doesn't. Biggest bang for the buck are tune, catless Y / downpipes, and a bigger intercooler. Anything beyond that has diminishing returns. I will get a drop in performance air filter soon. That is about all for me. I'm somewhat tempted to remove the resonator or do something with the catback just so I can hear the turbos, but honestly I really like having a dead silent vehicle for long road trips and towing the trailer. Also tempted to go catless, but with a new truck under warranty I am trying hard to refrain.

I'm a diehard gm fan , but that's a badass lil v6. Is it true they out run raptors stock ?

Seems like they should make an SVT version

Don't forget Alky. It would be nice if boost control could be in the end users hands but with this new fangled platform the work around to get manual boost control hasn't been made known.

I'm a diehard gm fan , but that's a badass lil v6. Is it true they out run raptors stock ?

Seems like they should make an SVT version

There isn't much in the world of new full sized trucks that can run with them in stock form. They are very much like another past turbo six cylinder in that respect.:cool:

Turbo 6 love :p Old Raptor has the 6.2, different beast, tons of power there but different purpose. The new Raptor is rumored to be Ecoboost, will have to wait and see! Hopefully '15 is good to me and I can order a '15 or '16 F150 Eco to daily.

These trucks would probably respond to just about all of the common Buick upgrades so I would say if you can make your Buick fast it wouldn't take long to get one of these trucks rolling.

On a side note the first run was against a guy in a BMW and I just noticed that you can see in the photo that both of us must have crossed the line at about the same time.

Last edited: