too much cam with ta-49?

tbronk41

I am rebuiding HA motor with rod Knock. motor has poston 110t cam with precision built ta-49 in stock housing. what cam would work best? current mod-hot wired poston pump, 42.5 injectors, +.030 forged pistons, girdle, ported and polished heads with ss valves, 100# springs, v1 intake,2.5 dp, 3"single shot ATR, 2800 stall, lots more.
As built engine never got out of 13's. It never seemed to have much passed 4000 rpm. Is this cam too big?

I am rebuiding HA motor with rod Knock. motor has poston 110t cam with precision built ta-49 in stock housing. what cam would work best? current mod-hot wired poston pump, 42.5 injectors, +.030 forged pistons, girdle, ported and polished heads with ss valves, 100# springs, v1 intake,2.5 dp, 3"single shot ATR, 2800 stall, lots more.
As built engine never got out of 13's. It never seemed to have much passed 4000 rpm. Is this cam too big?

Don't think so, but can you list the specs of the cam?

Cam shouldn't be the problem unless it started to wipe out the lobes. Post some more info on your setup...ie, what boost level you're running, whose chip?, etc., and we'll see if we can narrow it down as to what the problem might be...

Here's a link to the cam spec card for the 110T cam in another thread...
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/en...n-you-tell-me-about-cam-card.html#post1896343

There is no such thing as "too big a cam" unless it won't fit in the block. :biggrin:

thanks for cam card, I couldn't find mine. I completed the tear down and found #6 connecting rod bearing damaged, crank looks like it can be polished or cut. I was also surprised to find 14 of the 20 girdle to block bolts sheared off. Looks like some bolt extraction is in my future.

wow. and also the cam thing i have heard that from lee as well

At the time of the event I was running race gas with a Joe Lubrant ((sp?) while he was with Precision) burnt chip with 20 degrees at WOT. 87 ecu, maf, ambient temp sensor, coil and module and directscan. Racing at the local track I encountered SEVERE detonation -shook car-in second gear, pedaled the car only to encounter it again. DA! Trapped 13.8 with a nasty rod knock.

Looking back at directscan data intake air temp was in the 150's. NOT SO GOOD. Noticed in second gear at 4800 rpm curve became very erratic and 02's normally at 820 became very erratic, car shifted at 5100.

During test runs, not at track, looks like 4500-4800 was a problem area. In hind sight maybe a high r misfire or valve float or springs or plugs or cam or?

I want to keep car HA any thoughts?

air temps in the 150? where was this at intake inlet temp at the filter? my intake temps are 208 during the 1/4 mile pass.

at the K&N filter behind left headlamp. the funny part is I order the big mouth cold air kit. raced the car friday night, hurt engine and kit arrived saturday morning.