Tony Stewart trying to get out of Gibbs contract

Race Lutz

Our local TV and Radio stations plus the Charlotte Observer's thatsracin.com web site has announced that Tony Stewart is in negotations to get out of his contract wwith Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR).

He wants to get away from Toyota, I'm not surprised, and get on his own. He's looking to buy into Haas-CNC Racing with about a half ownership commitment. He can definitely afford it. One of his reasons is to get away from Toyota. I don't blame him for that! He wants to get back to Chevrolets. Haas-CNC gets their engines and some chassis parts from Hendrick Motorsports. Good stuff!

I'm not a big fan of Tony, but I can spot a good driver when I see one.

As an aside, he may have some issues with Home Depot.

Interesting: the version I heard was he wasn't trying to get out of his contract but wasn't planning on renewing after next season either. Love him or hate him: he is a character in a "sport" that doesn't seem to have any itself.

Could be RCR as well since they have 4th team next year with a big time sponsor and no driver. Cant count out HMS either. Mears is ok but probably expendable for stewart.

word has it that............

he will do the newman haas deal, and continue with gibbs thru 09.
(like earnhardt Sr did ) ( race for one person and run a team of his own)
he has had problems with home depot since day one,(they are very micro managing) and would like to tell nascar to go fly a kite,
he has bought 2 dirt tracks and has his eyes on another, he loves to race, ANYTHING,
talent ,no doubt, temper, no doubt! he is the largest contributer to Victory junction BY FAR! and has done quite a few small favors for down and out people.
I know his PR lady very well ( my wife worked with her for yrs)
inside scoop??? not a chance, he's pretty tight lipped about some things.
you do have to admit, he keeps the news photographers on there toes !! LOL

I think it is funny that in his Armor All commercial he is driving a Vette, guess a camary wouldn't be so cool;) :biggrin:

Could be RCR as well since they have 4th team next year with a big time sponsor and no driver. Cant count out HMS either. Mears is ok but probably expendable for stewart.

Scott Wimmer will most likely be in that ride at RCR. As for Stewart I see him buying fifty percent of Haas, so he can be back behind the wheel of a Chevy.

I doubt gordon and junior would accept him at hendick, that would be too many huge egos under one roof. I could see hime finishing up at gibbs, while putting together something with newman-haas or even going completely on his own with equipment deals with maybe RCR, I heard him (Childress) saying something major was in the works for his teams. More importantly: what will Zipadelli do? Stay or go with Stewart?

I do live near the heart of NASCAR country and often times I get some really juicey news. Today, I got, from a very reliable source, and it is coroborated by another source that Tony Stewart wanting to leave Joe Gibbs Racing is something that JGR would want to happen.

Seems that a high official in the JGR organization thinks that Stewart leaving would be a good thing. I also picked up that Home Depot has many issues with Stewart. I am not completely sure about that one.

There is also talk that JGR is not completely happy with Kyle Busch in their organization. They seem to be prepping Joey Logano for the next Cup ride. He won the ARCA Race in Rockingham today. He looks very talented!

They (JGR) don't want hot heads running around like loose cannons. There is also some talk that Hendrick Motorsports was happy to get a chance to replace Busch. That is not one that I can back up with two sources. But, since I don't publish things for profit, I don't worry too much about it.

Here is another one that I cannot back up, but I can speculate that JGR may help Stewart find help in leaving.

BTW, The HAAS organization is not Newman-Haas. It is Haas Automation, and Hass CNC racing. I am not sure, but I dont think it has any connnection with Paul Newman at all.

I could see Stewart buying into Haas CNC and being an equal or more partner. As far as RCR, I believe Richard has things set up for his fourth team. And... it does NOT include Tony Stewart. I could be wrong. Big money does definitely talk and one must follow the money trail. And, Stewart does like Chevrolet! But again, you gotta' follow the money.

Stay tuned, If I find anything else, I'll let you know.