To Restrict or Not To Restrict (Turbo Oil Feed)

Dean

I have a new (but older style water cooled) 6265BB that I picked up with a stainless feed line. Thing is, the cover won't go on with that feed line and straight fitting. I contacted PTE about getting a restricted 90º feed fitting and was told that all I needed was a standard UNRESTRICTED -4. ("We recommend the use of a -4AN feed line and feed fitting, not restriction.") OK, great, I thought, since I have one here. Though, when I just now removed the existing fitting that came on the turbo it was definitely restricted, ~0.037".

Now I'm concerned. I sent another message to PTE, but I'm hoping someone here can educate me on this.

Thanks,

The cartridge is supposed to have restricted oil that's why the restriction is there. I've altered the bearing housing on a couple and was able to make an adaptor plate with the restriction in it that bolted to the top of the bearing housing (big pain in the ass)and use 90* fitting as you described that threaded directly into the adapter as a 1/8npt with either a/n or inverted flare. Don't use any Teflon tape. Only non hardening thread sealant.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks Brian, this is the turbo Dean bought off me a while back.

Thanks for the input, Brian. Now to ask PTE why they responded as they did.

JW, not so easy to get the center section to 20º with the stock oil drain, but if you twist it enough if JUST gets there. :)

BTW, PTE rescinded their first response.

BTW2, I picked up an Earls 921104 90º fitting, and that keeps the -4 under the cover nicely.

Sure. Here's the Earl's 921104 90º and a 45º hose end. My cover is notched for the coolant line (s), however, so with a completely stock cover you might need a 45 coupler off the 90 before the 45 hose end.

Fitting01.jpg

Fitting02.jpg

Fitting03.jpg

Attachments

• Fitting01.jpg
    Fitting01.jpg
    861.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Fitting02.jpg
    Fitting02.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 80