To Race or not to Race ?

ikle

The car is a 1987 GN with t-top's, I purchased the car from the original owner,in Nov 2004 with 48,328 miles on it. My intentions were to not only make the car do well in the 1/4 mile but to also make it handle on the streets, I wanted the best of both worlds. I slowly built the car but it had to take a back seat to my coaching responsibilities for my two amazing boys. The car has been a garage queen for almost 13 years now, I start her up every couple of months or so and drive her around the block when the weather is nice. I do maintain her doing at least one oil change a year, ( since I put very few miles on her ), I run Seafoam in the 93oct fuel, wash and wax her a few times during the year to keep the show quality paint job I did years ago looking great. The car has 49,990 on it now and runs as good as it looks. With me putting very little miles on her in the last 13 years would it be a bad idea to bring her to the track once in a while in the near future ???

What do you think, Kyle.

i think so....as you will be so dissapointed that it ran 14.90 that you will start a cycle of spending that never ends : o

I think you will enjoy yourself taking the car to the track once in a while if that is what you want to do.

Take it to the track and HAVE FUN! ...but to avoid any disapointments, don't go there with expectations about what the car "should" run. Just enjoy. (y)

good luck,

Claude ;)

Yes, racing can be fun if you dont mind breaking parts. Yes it will happen.

By all means I would go just for fun and make a pull or two . You can see my upgrades in my sig and just got the bone stock last sept . I will be going to the track soon . I just gotta build up some courage being I have never made a pass on a track . Let us know how it goes Keith

The car is a 1987 GN with t-top's, I purchased the car from the original owner,in Nov 2004 with 48,328 miles on it. My intentions were to not only make the car do well in the 1/4 mile but to also make it handle on the streets, I wanted the best of both worlds. I slowly built the car but it had to take a back seat to my coaching responsibilities for my two amazing boys. The car has been a garage queen for almost 13 years now, I start her up every couple of months or so and drive her around the block when the weather is nice. I do maintain her doing at least one oil change a year, ( since I put very few miles on her ), I run Seafoam in the 93oct fuel, wash and wax her a few times during the year to keep the show quality paint job I did years ago looking great. The car has 49,990 on it now and runs as good as it looks. With me putting very little miles on her in the last 13 years would it be a bad idea to bring her to the track once in a while in the near future ???

What do you think, Kyle.

I'd run it.. go through all the "tune up" items and then get it out on the highway to stretch its legs a bit .. the starting stopping and short distance driving is what does the harm ..

I would also take a good look at the tune and probably turn the boost down to 16-17 psi .. not sure how your getting away with 22 psi on 93 pump with no knock ..

The reason I would say run it ( few passes a year aren't going to do it any harm ) .. you have 2 boys .. I am sure at some point they will start to get REAL interested in the GN :)
It would be really neat to do a yearly outing to the track with them ..

Remember .. you don't have to beat the piss out of the car just because your going to the track .. there is merit in just having fun and enjoying the car at the track.

Enjoy

Turbo89 has said it well. I have a under 14k GN that now I'm building a stroker motor from

scratch. I'm going to take the stock motor out and put aside. This old man is going to have some fun before I die.

Turbo89 has said it well. I have a under 14k GN that now I'm building a stroker motor from

scratch. I'm going to take the stock motor out and put aside. This old man is going to have some fun before I die.
You go young man . And your not that old

What do you think, Kyle.
I don't take the cars to the track unless I'm prepared for something to break.thats my thought these days.i you don't use the car that much then taking the car to the track isn't a bad idea because downtime isn't a major consideration.so put some good gas in the car and a good tire and have some fun.also running the 1/8 is another option.

Try to get involved with a track rental instead of going to a full blown event. More fun and can make as many passes that you want. Jeez, just realized I haven't run my GN since 2002! Might just have to give it a go again in 2017.

Thanks for all your comments, I'm going to start getting the car race ready this winter.

The to do list :
Call bison and install new valve springs, rear main seal and maybe change out my 42's for some 60's with a matching TT chip of Brian's choice. Fix a parasitic draw and a possible header leak.
Install a line lock from GNS
New plugs and plug wires
New belt
Clean K&N air filter
Fuel pump and filter
Oil/filter
Trany fluid/ filter
Drain and fill rear end
Get a set of used aluminum wheels with new drag radials
Check brakes

Anything else ???

Thanks, Kyle.

Thanks for all your comments, I'm going to start getting the car race ready this winter.

The to do list :
Call bison and install new valve springs, rear main seal and maybe change out my 42's for some 60's with a matching TT chip of Brian's choice. Fix a parasitic draw and a possible header leak.
Install a line lock from GNS
New plugs and plug wires
New belt
Clean K&N air filter
Fuel pump and filter
Oil/filter
Trany fluid/ filter
Drain and fill rear end
Get a set of used aluminum wheels with new drag radials
Check brakes

Anything else ???

Thanks, Kyle.

Good plan ... 1 last thing ... Video Camera :) .. you will want to get it on video ... you'll be glad you did especially when it becomes a yearly event .. your kids will really enjoy it !

Try to get involved with a track rental instead of going to a full blown event. More fun and can make as many passes that you want. Jeez, just realized I haven't run my GN since 2002! Might just have to give it a go again in 2017.

Great idea Mark, maybe something to set up for the Buick community in our area next spring. Hint Hint. ;)

Are you 100% positive that your engine is not experiencing any detonation/knock during any running condition, temperature, etc?

I find it hard to believe that you are safely running 20+ PSI on only 93 octane. Wish my car would do that.

Are you 100% positive that your engine is not experiencing any detonation/knock during any running condition, temperature, etc?

I find it hard to believe that you are safely running 20+ PSI on only 93 octane. Wish my car would do that.

Yes 100%, I did three 3rd gear pulls to 5,000rpm, the first when reviewing the power logger file showed 1.4 KNR but went away very quickly the audible knock sensor never went off and I don't even think it registered on the Scan Master, boost was at 20l-21lbs WBO2's were mid 12's Intake Air 72 degrees Injector's at 91.6%. Second pull added 15.5% more fuel to WOT all gears, no knock WBO2's 11.15 Injector's at 106%. Third pull same as second, it was done totally by accident in 4/20/14 the only difference between the three pulls was the first one was done at 12:50pm then I went home to confirm knock sensor was working, went back out at 7:00pm for the other two pulls, Intake Air 70 degrees. But next year going to have it professionally tuned and have them review these three files to see if they see anything abnormal.

Thanks, Kyle.

Your car has a lot less miles on it than mine, plus you've done more to yours.

I only have 91-92 octane fuel available in my area. I find that somewhere between 17 to 18 PSI is the knock threshold depending upon the age of the fuel, temperature, etc. I backed it down to 16 PSI for no knock under any condition.

I'm surprised it wasn't pinging on the first pull with O2s in the mid 12s.

I'm surprised it wasn't pinging on the first pull with O2s in the mid 12s.

1st combo stock turbo, Dutt neck stock IC, stock Injector's, stock throttle body and plenum and max boost 17-18 had some boost creep that created knock.
2nd combo ta49, Dutt neck stock IC, 42lbs Injector's, stock throttle body and plenium, experienced part throttle surge, max boost 17-18.
3rd combo te60, Percision SLIC, 42lbs Injector's, Steve Monroe ported stock TB and plenium to 62mm, running 21-22lbs boost
All on 93oct with Seafoam added to tank in 70ish degree weather.

I am not an expert but if I had to guess with thie info above my Percision SLIC is doing its job even though my WBO2's were mid 12's.

Thanks for your imput, Kyle.

I wasn't criticizing. Just thinking how bad my junk would have been detonating with that much boost and that lean lol. I run my turbo LS close to 12 on E85, but I get scared and lift if the Buick goes past 11.5 in any gear other that first.