to much boost?

next_level

when i bought the car i was told it was set for 17 pounds, and the gauge always showed between 16-18 so i figured it was ok...
but the one thing i did notice was that it almost seemed faster at 3/4 throttle then full throttle

i switched my old gauge out, not cause it was bad, i just dont like white faced gauges, now the boost goes up to almost 20 (pump gas) there is no audible knock but could it be to much boost and retarding the timing that's why im loosing power at the top end..

i have an atr extral wastegate....im just not familar with adjusting it, i've only had a hot air car before this...

im getting a scantool at the end of the week, but until then any shots in the dark would be nice....

20 psi and pump gas is going to knock. You may not be able to hear it, but the computer is probably pulling timing. Keep your foot out of it until you get a scan tool, and familiarize yourself with your waste gate.

Yep, its pulling timing because of knock with that much boost. From my experience if you are able to hear the knock its usually 10-12 degrees or higher...that much knock at 20# will destroy the head gaskets quick.

ha, I drove around for a week or so with the vac. hose off the stock wastegate and didn't know it. The car spooled like an animal and pulled hard...until it sounded like someone was beating an iron frying pan with a 1/2" ratchet!

never a good idea...either turn down the boost or add some alky to the mix and turn it up!

wo wo wo woooo....

there's sposed to be a vacuum hose hooked up to the wastegate?

i got nothing, where's it go

like i said the car feels faster a 3/4 throttle, so iwanna turn it down...

s it the same as an adjustable fpr?

You can do a search and get exact detailed info and maybe some diagrams but the hose from the waste gate gos to the boost solenoid if I’m not mistaken. There are two connections on the boost solenoid and you must get the right one. I would check all of your hoses and make sure they are tight and CAN'T pop off under higher boost levels before you get too crazy with the throttle. If they do be prepared to possibly hear a very expensive noise...! Boost will run wild and sometimes do serious damage with bad vacuum leaks.

I bought a ttype this winter as a project and it just had the engine refreshed professionally before I bought it. They tried to zip tie a hose on the boost solenoid and it was finger lose!! I had to tighten no less than 3 of the hose connections in conjunction with the boost solenoid---which any one of those coming loose could have been fatal:eek: I'm buying a caspers knock gauge to supplement my scan master to warn me of any future problems so I don't have to find them before its too late,

Ben

Is the boost solenoid still on the PS valve cover?
There should be a vac hose from it going to a "y" fitting. The striaght side of the 'y' goes to the turbo compressor housing, and the branched off part should go to the WG actuator.
It may have just blown off the actuator and needs a fresh new non-brittle hose reconnected and use zip ties to secure it from blowing off under boost.

Without the hose connected means the WG will not open until there is enough pressure already in the exhaust side to push the puck open, which will cause boost spike. Your WG actuator either has a 13# stock spring or a HD 18# spring in it which means 13 or 18# of pressure in the exhaust housing before the WG will open...which means probably alot more than that on the intake side!!