To anyone that has removed a tranny in garage

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
About how high should your car be off the ground when it’s on jacks?

As high as possible.
You need room for the transmission and whatever jack you put under it so it doesn't crush you. Probably 2.5-3 feet.

I’d say around 2+ feet depending on pan. Possibly a bit more if ya use a motorcycle jack.

Obviously the bellhousing will be the tallest section. Ya can always tilt a bit to help with that. Did mine in the garage & got it to fit.

In my perfect world it goes on the motorcycle jack, slides under the car, then BAM jack it up, & install. If only that was ever the case HAHA!

I've done it before, but I live in neighborhood where Tranny's aren't all too uncommon.

It wondered in and was asking about all the "Neeto Cars"....I'm not sure just how high the arc was when we threw it out. :cool: At least 3 feet.

Oh!

Wait.........

1663033655356.png

Last edited:
Here's the garage......

To clarify.... Not all my stuff.

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
Many years ago when I replaced the tranny I used a regular car ramp and the highest level floor jack on the rear, but I had to lift the tranny shaft end to tilt the bellhousing and push underneath the car. I then put the converter on the tranny and then on the floor jack; lift the tranny into location and started to bolt down.
Unfortunately, I had on one to assist me, so with patience, and a lot of swearing I manage the tranny installation.

Attachments

• Picture 002a.jpg
    Picture 002a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Do not forget to set the emergency brake and chock up the rear wheels. Once the drive shaft is out that chassis is a roller is something needs adjustment on a jack.

I like to jack the car up and put my car ramps in backwards so the ramp part isn't in the way of getting the trans out from under the car. First several(probably twenty) I used a floor jack and a piece of wood to balance the trans on. Since I am not as young and nimble I bought a trans jack from northern tool. Great because you can tilt the trans front to back and side to side to stab it back in way easier than the floor jack I was using. I do have to pull the trans off the jack onto a piece of cardboard to slide it out from under the car.

i used a large motorcycle jack a few weeks ago. worked perfect. car was abour 2.5 feet off the ground.

Did mine like 10 or more years ago. Drove car up on ramps and then jacked car up from crossmember and put 4x6' under the ramps. Lowered jack and put a block on the pad and jacked the car up higher to put more 4 x 6 boards underneath until I had it high enough. I have a trans pan pad that I swap out on my jack to take the trans out with. Now that I am 66 don't know if I will tackle that again on my own.

if you put the jack stand on the lower control arms, remove the wheel and the bell housing can slide thru the wheel housing a bit just in case your jack sands are a little short. all 4 corners need to be on stands

It isn't a barbell. and you'd be holding it one armed trying to get the bell bolts in. Your call.

Leave the converter in the trans when you pull it...